: Caption reads: "Hepburn and McGuffy Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio. 1936."
Hepburn Hall was named for Andrew Dousa Hepburn, Miami University's Seventh President from 1871 to 1873. The original Hepburn Hall (pictured) was the first women's residence hall. The building has since been demolished and the name was given to another building.
McGuffey Hall is named for William Holmes McGuffey a professor at Miami University from 1826 to 1836. Between 1836 and 1845 he served as president of three Ohio institutions. He is best known as the author of the popular series of children's textbooks called McGuffey's Readers. The building was completed in 1925 and cost $364,000 to build. The architects that designed the building were Robert S. Harsh and F. L. Packard.
Miami University is one of the oldest and best-known universities in the State of Ohio. Miami University was founded in 1809. Although chartered in 1809, Miami University did not open its doors to students until 1823. It became known as the "Yale of the West." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B09F02_001_001 Subjects
: Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)--History; Architecture--Ohio; College buildings Places
: Oxford (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)