: Caption reads: "Miami University, Library Entrance, Oxford, Ohio, Butler County. 1936."
The Alumni Library opened in April of 1910 and was funded by the Alumni Centennial Fund and the Andrew Carnegie Foundation for the total amount of the $80,000 it cost to build. When the library opened, it featured a 70 ft. high rotunda, in addition to reading rooms and stacks. In 1924, an east wing was added to the building, which offered a main reference and reading room. A west wing was added to the building in 1952 in addition to the stacks that were added onto the building in 1930, 1949, and 1958. The Alumni Library was the main library of the university until the King Library was constructed in 1972.
Miami University is one of the oldest and best-known universities in the State of Ohio. Miami University was founded in 1809. Although chartered in 1809, Miami University did not open its doors to students until 1823. It became known as the "Yale of the West." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B09F02_002_001 Subjects
: Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)--History; Architecture--Ohio; Academic libraries--Ohio; College buildings Places
: Oxford (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)