: Original description reads: "Old log cabin - first house built in Dayton, Ohio 1796."
Colonel George Newcom, one of Dayton's first settlers, constructed this two-story log house in 1796. The original house consisted of one room upstairs and one room on the ground floor. In 1798, a two-story addition was added. Since the tavern was a large two-story building, it soon became the center of village activity, as well as overnight lodging for travelers. The first court sessions were held in the tavern, and it served as a place for school and church services. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B09F08_023_1 Subjects
: Taverns (Inns)--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio--Dayton; Log cabins--Ohio--Dayton; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works; Dayton (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Patterson, Robert, 1753-1827; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)