: This photograph shows a man in front of a machine holding many spools of, what is probably spun-glass. An empty spindle near the top left corner has the words "Fiberglas" and "Owens-Illinois Glass Company." It was group together with other photographs from Owens-Corning.
The Owens-Corning Fiberglas Company Plant, located at 400 Case Avenue near Shields Street in Newark, occupies what was formerly the abandoned works of the largest bottle manufactory. Then called Owens-Illinois, the factory was purchased in 1933, to provide spun-glass and glass fiber research facilities. Corning Glass had been experimenting with such fibers for years, and the two companies decided to work jointly on development. By 1938, the two companies had merged to become Owens-Corning. During the 1930s and 1940s, the company manufactured 'glass wool' insulation for battleships, refrigerators, and houses, and spinning glass into delicate silk-like fibers to be woven into glass cloth, and fabrics for insulating electric wires View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B09F09_029 Subjects
: Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation; Newark (Ohio)--History; Fiberglass Places
: Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)