: This photograph shows the American Insurance Union Citadel (LeVeque Tower) and the Ohio State Office Building (now Ohio Judicial Center) as seen from across the Scioto River. The Ohio State Office Building, located at 65 South Front Street was eventually renamed the Ohio Departments of State building, for a time, before becoming home to the Supreme Court of Ohio. It was designed by Henry Hake of Cincinnati in the Art Moderne style, a combination of the Modernistic style with Art Deco decoration. Groundbreaking took place on November 19, 1929 and construction began just after the collapse of the stock market, so delays were frequent. The building was completed in 1933 at a cost exceeding $6,500,000. Just before construction was complete, 11 people were killed and 50 injured during a natural gas explosion on April 14, 1932, which damaged the building all the way up to the 5th floor. Repairs cost an additional $750,000. The 14-story building is of Georgia marble, lu View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F04A_017 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Municipal buildings--United States; MacMorris, Leroy Daniel, 1893-1981; Leveque Tower (Columbus, Ohio); Crane, C. Howard (Charles Howard), 1885-1952; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)