: Original description reads: "Republic Steel plant from Jefferson Avenue Bridge over Cuyahoga River."
The Republic Steel Company was founded in 1899 in Youngstown, Ohio. The firm was originally known as Republic Iron and Steel Company. For the company's first three decades of existence, it prospered, as Ohio was one of the leading industrialist states of the period.
In 1927, Cyrus Eaton purchased a majority of the stock in the Republic Steel Company. At the same time, Eaton also purchased stock in other companies. He hoped to unite these companies together to compete with the U.S. Steel Company—the largest steel manufacturer in the United States. Under Eaton's leadership, the Republic Steel Company expanded its manufacturing holdings to include plants in Massillon, Elyria, Canton, Cleveland, and Warren, Ohio. Thanks to Eaton's efforts, the Republic Steel Company emerged as the third largest steel producer in the United States. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B09F13_003_1 Subjects
: Steel industry and trade--Ohio--Cleveland; Republic Steel Corporation Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)