Rubber plant - tire machine   Save
Rubber plant - tire machine
Description: This photograph shows a large machine holding a form which is used to make rubber tires. This is most likely the B.F. Goodrich Rubber Company Plant or the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company Plant, both in Akron, Ohio. More information needed. The B.F. Goodrich Rubber Company Plant was located at 500 South Main Street was Akron’s oldest rubber factory and one of the world’s largest, producing more than 30,000 kinds of rubber articles beside automobile tires. Occupying 275 acres, the plant had 116 buildings with 165 acres of floor space. In addition, the Goodrich company operated the Miller rubbery factory on South High Street and several regional plants. The Goodrich plant had its own utilities, waterworks, service departments, hospital, electric transportation system, and a subway. The Firestone Tire and Rubber Company Plant was located on 1278 South Main Street and covered 10 city blocks, including its subsidiaries: Xylos Rubber Plant, the Firestone Battery Company Plant and the Firestone Steel Products Plant. It was founded in 1900 by Harvey S. Firestone. In addition to tires, this group of factories produces batteries, spark plugs, brake linings, steel wheel drums and rims and a variety of articles requiring adhesion of steel and rubber. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F02_021_001
Subjects: Industries--Ohio--Akron; Rubber industry and trade--Ohio--Equipment and supplies; Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, Akron, Ohio; Firestone Tire & Rubber Company
Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)