: Reverse reads: "Lima Rail Yards. Lima."
This is most likely the Lima Locomotive Works, which was located at South Main Street and Nickel Plate Railroad crossing. The company manufactured all types of railroad locomotives 1870s through the 1950s. The company is best known for producing the Shay geared logging steam locomotive and for being the home of William E. Woodard's "Super Power" advanced steam locomotive concept - exemplified by the prototype 2-8-4 Berkshire, Lima demonstrator A-1. The plant, covering nearly 60 acres, was one of the three largest of its kind in the United States. The largest and most interesting building is the shop in which the engines are assembled.
In 1947, the firm merged with General Machinery Corporation of Hamilton, Ohio, to form Lima-Hamilton. From 1949 to 1951 Lima-Hamilton produced a total of 174 Diesel Locomotives, in 6 different models. In 1951, Lima-Hamilton merged with Baldwin Locomotive Works to form Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton (BLH). The Lima-Hamilton line of Diesels was discontinued, in favor of Baldwin's existing line. Though Lima and Baldwin had been known for high-quality steam locomotives, their line of diesel-electric locomotives was unable to compete with EMD, Alco, and GE. BLH left the locomotive business in 1956. For a time, Clark Equipment Company manufactured Lima-brand construction cranes in the old plant. Most of the company's records and builder's drawings are now housed in the California State Railroad Museum's library in Sacramento, California. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F03_021_001 Subjects
: Industries--Ohio; Locomotives--Ohio; Steam locomotives--United States; Diesel locomotives--United States; Lima Locomotive Works, Incorporated; Lima-Hamilton Corporation; Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corporation; Clark Equipment Company; Woodward, W. E. (William E.), 1874-1950 Places
: Lima (Ohio); Allen County (Ohio)