: Handwritten on reverse: "Hill Top District. Mingo Jct, O. Miller and Son 436 Market St. Steubenville, Ohio." Written on the front is the name of the photographer and the date "3-20-39."
Mingo Junction High School was dedicated in 1930. The 3-story brick building replaced the Central High School, which was destroyed by fire in 1917. A new gymnasium was added in 1957.
The Mingo Indian tribe (now referred to as the Seneca-Cayuga tribe) once had a settlement at the location of the present-day village, which is the source of its name. Originally known as Mingo Bottom, it was the starting point for the ill-fated Crawford expedition against hostile Indians in 1782, during the American Revolutionary War. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F06_045_001 Subjects
: Streets--Ohio; Jefferson County (Ohio)--History; Places
: Mingo Junction (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)