: This photograph shows men duck hunting using a small boat. It was most likely taken around the Sandusky area.
During the late 1800s, the Lake Erie marshes were known as some of the best waterfowl hunting areas in the United States. As early as 1890 much of the wetland area was being operated for private shooting. By the end of 1951 the entire 30,000 acres of remaining marshland along Lake Erie, from Toledo to Sandusky, was under private club ownership. Today, the region still supports some of the most intensively developed and managed waterfowling clubs in the Midwest.
The Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, purchased by the Ohio Division of Wildlife in August 1951, lies in some of Ohio’s finest remaining wetlands. The marsh complex has historically been inhabited by large numbers of waterfowl, waterbirds, shorebirds, and songbirds. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F08_014_001 Subjects
: Duck hunting; Hunting--Ohio; Hunting and fishing clubs--United States; Marshes--Ohio; Sandusky (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Plants and Animals; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)