Manary Blockhouse photograph   Save
Manary Blockhouse photograph
Description: In 1812 Captain James Manary built a blockhouse to control a point in the wilderness three miles north of Bellefontaine, at that time the northernmost settled place in Ohio. In a typical one-story log blockhouse, rifle ports lined every wall near the ceiling, and soldiers stood to fire from a bench running the perimeter of the room. The Army of the Northwest, under General William Hull, stopped at Manary's Blockhouse on its march from Dayton to Detroit. There, surrounded by what he imagined to be a superior force, Hull surrendered. He was court-martialed, sentenced to death, granted clemency by James Madison, and spent much of the rest of his life attempting to restore his reputation. James McPherson, a veteran of the Revolution and the War of 1812, bought the house in 1823; members of his family lived there until 1919. In 1924 it was moved to Indian Lake State Park, filled with objects from the period, and made a museum. The Ohio Guide described the array: "[...] willow and hickory chairs, a cornhusk doormat, spinning wheel and loom, andirons, early matches, stone vases, tintypes, snuff boxes, grease lamps, and a rare display of cotton printing of the Revolutionary War period." Reverse reads: "Manary Blockhouse. District 10, Logan Co., Lakeview. Photo No. 3 showing one end of a leanto with a very fine collection of china and glass ware. See Historic House Museums Topic S621 on file." View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F15_004_1
Subjects: Lakeview (Logan County, Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; War of 1812
Places: Lakeview (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio)