Mac-o-chee Castle photograph   Save
Mac-o-chee Castle photograph
Description: Returning from the war to their boyhood hometown, Abram Piatt and his brother Donn built homes less than a mile apart, outside West Liberty in Logan County. Donn's house, Mac-o-Chee Castle, a three-story, 36-room Gothic limestone chateau featuring two central towers, was designed by Abram's son William and completed in 1879. Donn Piatt capitalized on his family's Huguenot descent to become charge d'affaires at the American embassy in Paris. Like his brother, he enlisted in the Union Army a private, leaving at the rank of lieutenant colonel. He returned to newspapers during Reconstruction, operating the Washington Capitol, which primarily ran stories on the numerous graft scandals of the period, including the Pacific mail bribes and the Credit Mobilier. William McCoy Piatt's family operated the houses as a tourist destination from 1912 until their departure in 1984. The Castles were entered in the National Register in 1982. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F15_006_1
Subjects: Logan County (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.
Places: West Liberty (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio)