: Caption reads: Campus Martius House. Marietta, Ohio.
This house is also known as the Rufus Putnam House.
This copied photograph is a view of the front exterior of the Rufus Putnam Residence in Marietta, Ohio, windows boarded, in its original location. It was one of the dwellings within Campus Martius, the fortification erected by the Ohio Company settlers, ca. 1790-1799, to protect the settlement from Native American attacks.
General Rufus Putnam was a Revolutionary War veteran and member of the Ohio Company who helped to found Marietta, Ohio and open the Northwest Territory for settlement. Putnam established the first Ohio Company settlement on the banks of the Ohio River. Known originally as Adelphia, the community soon became known as Marietta. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F18_001_1 Subjects
: Marietta (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Putnam, Rufus, 1738-1824; Campus Martius (Marietta, Ohio); Forts & fortifications--1770-1800 Places
: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)