: Caption on reverse reads: "Inside the Warder Bookmobile. In Springfield, Ohio."
The Clark County Public Library traces its beginnings to the Springfield Lyceum in 1841 in Springfield, Ohio. It occupied various locations before local entrepreneur Benjamin Warder gave the library a new location on the corner of High Street in 1890. The building, called the Warder Public Library, was constructed in memory of his parents and dedicated to the people of Springfield. This location now houses the Clark County (Warder) Literacy Center. Library service continued to expand and grow at this new location. The year 1936 saw the library's first bookmobile service to the area, with a homemade trailer that could carry 500 books. The 1950’s and 1960’s brought about the expansion of the library in the form of branches at Park Shopping Center, Southern Village Shopping Center, and in the villages of Enon and South Charleston.
Now called the Clark County Public Library, the main library moved to its new facility on Fountain Avenue in 1989. The library has five locations throughout Clark County. It also has two bookmobiles that cover 41 community stops, 7 schools, 14 daycare centers and 5 Head Start Programs.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B08F13_012_1 Subjects
: Springfield (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Public libraries--Ohio; Library architecture--United States; Warder Public Library; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)