: Dated January 8, 1941, this photograph shows the Alexander McDonald estate in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Alexander and his brother James settled in Cincinnati in the late 1860s and played a prominent role in the petroleum industry by establishing the Consolidated Tank Line Company. In 1890, they exchanged their stock in the Consolidated Tank Line Company for stock in the Standard Oil Company and Alexander McDonald became president of the Standard Oil Company of Kentucky.
In the nineteenth century, mansions with set in extensive park land, woodlands, and gardens were built in this area. The McDonald mansion was designed by Samuel Hannaford in the later part of the 19th century. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B06F08_001_1 Subjects
: Mansions--Ohio; Federal Writers' Project; Oil industry; Architecture--Ohio Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)