: The County of Guernsey was formed in 1810 and named for the settlers who came from the Island of Guernsey, off the coast of France. The first court house was a Greek Revival building on Public Square in Cambridge. After seventy years, there became a need for a new court house because of the growth in population.
The court house in the photograph is the second court house. It was designed by Joseph Yost in the the popular Second Empire style. It was built of fine sandstone with a hipped roof and mansard-roofed towers. A central tower has a four faced clock with louvered arched openings. A broken pediment on the southern face contains the statue of Justice. Below the statue is a fan shaped stone bearing the date 1881. The main entrance stair case is covered by a small balcony.
Surrounding the court house are several memorials to the soldiers of Guernsey county in wars from the American Civil War to Operation Desert Storm. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F03_058_001 Subjects
: Cambridge (Ohio); Guernsey County (Ohio); Court-houses; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Monuments Places
: Cambridge (Ohio); Guernsey County (Ohio)