: The Union County Courthouse was built next to the county jail in 1880. The land had been purchased in 1871 for the jail, and when two more lots were purchased in 1880, the courthouse construction began 100 days later in September of that year. The architect was David W. Gibbs of Toledo, Ohio, who also designed four other county courthouses in Ohio. The contractors were Karst and Woodruff.
The bell tower reached 168 feet in height and the original clock was by Howard and Co. of Boston, Massachusetts. It was wound once a week by the courthouse janitor until 1942. At that time a rusty cable broke and one of the weights fell through the skylight of the rotunda, narrowly missing a court reporter. After that mishap, the clock was electrified. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F03_060_001 Subjects
: Marysville (Ohio); Union County (Ohio); Courthouses; Architecture--Ohio; Government buildings Places
: Marysville (Ohio); Union County (Ohio)