Blair Covered Bridge photograph   Save
Blair Covered Bridge photograph
Description: Taken the winter of 1936, this photograph shows Blair Covered Bridge in Perry Township, Ohio, in Stark County. Soil stratification is visible along the banks of the Grand River. The bridge was constructed in the 1860s, but was replaced by a cement bridge in 1951. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F04_001_002_001
Subjects: Covered bridges--Ohio; Rivers; Winter; Ohio Federal Writers' Project
Places: Perry Township (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)