: This is a photograph of a drawing of the Soldiers' Monument located at the site of Fort Stephenson in Fremont, Ohio. The date of the drawing is 1846.
The monument was built in 1881 in memory of the heroic dead of Sandusky County, Ohio. Among the notable Sandusky county citizens on the committee was Rutherford B Hayes.
The monument stands in the center of where the Battle of Fort Stephenson took place in 1813. New England Granite Works of Hartford, Connecticut were the designers of the monument. It is made of Quincy granite except for the statue, which is made of Westerly Rhode Island granite. the Corinthian column is 3' in diameter at the bottom and 2'6' in diameter at the top. the soldier's statue is 8', which includes the base. The entire monument is 44' 3" in height and cost about $7,000. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B15F01_051 Subjects
: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio); Places
: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)