: A photograph of the three tiered steeple of St. John UCC on 409 Park Avenue in Bolivar, Ohio.
In 1856 the town members purchased a church in the village and the official name German Evangelical Church of St. John in Bolivar was begun. Incorporation papers were filed with the State of Ohio on February 9, 1856. In 1870, the church Trustees purchased the land where the current church is located and began construction of a frame church, which was occupied in 1871.
With an affiliation with the German Evangelical Church, the merger between the German Evangelical and German Reformed Synods in the 1930's and then with the Congregational and Christian Church in 1956, the church became known as St. John United Church of Christ. Remodeling and enlargement of the church took place in the 1920's, an Education Building in 1968 and another extensive remodeling and enlargement of the church in 1984. The present building will seat approximately 200 worshipers. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B14F02_017_001 Subjects
: Churches; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; United Church of Christ; Church Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Bolivar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)