Bridge at Western College for Women photograph   Save
Bridge at Western College for Women photograph
Description: Dated 1936, this photograph shows a bridge on the Western College for Women campus. The bridge was designed and built by Cephas Burns who hand-selected the stones to be used in the project from local streams and quarries. The bridge has several stone columns with attached light posts spaced periodically throughout. In the background, the roof and top floor of Maryland Hall is visible through the trees. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F09_003_001
Subjects: Bridges Ohio; Western College for Women; Oxford (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works.
Places: Oxford (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)