Searching...
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Next >
  • Last »
25 matches on "Lighthouses"
Old Lighthouse, Huron, Ohio
Thumbnail image
Save
Old Lighthouse, Huron, Ohio  Save
Description: Caption reads "Still standing at Huron is the old lighthouse, built in __ (see Huron Lighthouse)". Huron's lighthouses have served as beacons for Great Lakes shipping since the early nineteenth century. The first of three Huron lighthouses was built in 1835. Built of wood and ill-equipped to deal with strong Lake Erie winds, it was destroyed by a fierce storm in May 1854. This light house was fully enclosed and was erected in 1857. The current white, pyramidal lighthouse was constructed in 1936 when the pier was extended to a location three-quarters of a mile offshore. Part of the original concrete foundation and railing were incorporated into the current structure. It was one of the first Lake Erie lighthouses to provide an electrically powered beacon to aid maritime navigation. Its light can be seen over a twelve-mile radius. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F01A_018_1
Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; Lighthouses; Harbors
Places: Huron (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)
 
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph  Save
Description: Marblehead Lighthouse is located on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula in Marblehead, Ohio. It has operated since 1822 and is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the US side of the Great Lakes. In 1858, initially used whale oil lamps were replaced by a single kerosene lantern, which in turn was replaced by electric light in 1923. A lifesaving station was built a short distance from the lighthouse in 1876. Marblehead Lighthouse was one of five lighthouses included in the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" postage stamp series designed by Howard Koslow in 1995. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL07511
Subjects: Lighthouses--Ohio; Great Lakes (North America); Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio); Lake Erie
 
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph  Save
Description: Marblehead Lighthouse is located on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula in Marblehead, Ohio. It has operated since 1822 and is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the US side of the Great Lakes. In 1858, initially used whale oil lamps were replaced by a single kerosene lantern, which in turn was replaced by electric light in 1923. A lifesaving station was built a short distance from the lighthouse in 1876. Marblehead Lighthouse was one of five lighthouses included in the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" postage stamp series designed by Howard Koslow in 1995. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL07513
Subjects: Lighthouses--Ohio; Great Lakes (North America); Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio); Lake Erie
 
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph  Save
Description: Marblehead Lighthouse, built in 1821, Marblehead, Ottawa County, Ohio, ca. 1940-1949. Marblehead Lighthouse is located on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula in Marblehead, Ohio. It has operated since 1822 and is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the US side of the Great Lakes. In 1858, initially used whale oil lamps were replaced by a single kerosene lantern, which in turn was replaced by electric light in 1923. A lifesaving station was built a short distance from the lighthouse in 1876. Marblehead Lighthouse was one of five lighthouses included in the "Lighthouses of the Great Lakes" postage stamp series designed by Howard Koslow in 1995. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL00392
Subjects: Marblehead Light (Ohio); Lighthouses; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Women--Employment; Ships; Marblehead (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places; National parks & reserves
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
 
Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse
Thumbnail image
Save
Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse  Save
Description: Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse is located on Lake Erie near the end of the west breakwater at the mouth of the Grand River. It was built in 1925 to replace the existing lighthouse that was falling into disrepair. In 1917 Congress allowed $42, 000 for construction of the new lighthouse, but because of World War I, the construction was delayed. The lighthouse was constructed of an iron shell that was assembled in Buffalo, New York and transported to Fairport Harbor. The lighthouse construction was completed and the lighthouse was illuminated for the first time on June 9, 1925. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F09_005_1
Subjects: Erie, Lake--History--Pictorial works; Fairport Harbor Marine Museum (Fairport Harbor, Ohio); Lighthouses
Places: Fairport Harbor (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)
 
New Huron Lighthouse photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
New Huron Lighthouse photograph  Save
Description: Caption reads: "New Lighthouse at Huron, on Lake Erie." The Huron lighthouse was constructed in 1835. The tower is considered to be an "Art Moderne" style made out of steel plate and concrete. Currently the lighthouse is mostly used by recreational boaters and the occasional freighter. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F01A_019_1
Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; Lighthouses; Harbors; Recreation
Places: Huron (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)
 
Lighthouse at Grand Lake
Thumbnail image
Save
Lighthouse at Grand Lake  Save
Description: Lighthouse at Grand Lake, St. Marys, Auglaize County, Ohio, ca. 1940-1949. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL00316
Subjects: Lighthouses--Ohio
Places: St. Marys (Ohio); Auglaize County (Ohio)
 
Marblehead Lighthouse
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse  Save
Description: Marblehead Lighthouse in Marblehead, Ohio, United States, is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the United States side of the Great Lakes. It has guided sailors safely along the rocky shores of Marblehead Peninsula since 1822, and is an active aid to navigation. In 1819, the fifteenth U. S. Congress recognized the need for navigational aides along the Great Lakes, and set aside $5,000 for construction of a light tower at the entrance to Sandusky Bay. Contractor William Kelly built the 50 foot (15 m) tower of native limestone on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula. The base of the tower is 25 feet (7.6 m) in diameter, with walls five feet (1.5 m) thick. It narrows to 12 feet (4 m) at the top with two-foot (0.6 m) thick walls. The turn of the century ushered in new technology as well as structural changes including the addition of another 15 feet (4.6 m) to the tower’s height. A clock-like mechanism was installed to rotate the lantern, creating the appearance of a brilliant flash of light every 10 seconds. This system required that the lighthouse keeper crank the weights every three hours through the night to keep the lantern turning. An improved Fresnel lens with prism surfaces created an even more brilliant beacon. An electric light finally replaced the kerosene lantern in 1923, dramatically increasing the intensity of the signal. During World War II, the lighthouse became strategically important for national defense. The last civilian lighthouse keeper resigned, and the United States Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the beacon in 1946. The beacon was automated in 1958. With its original finish tattered by time and harsh weather, the exterior of the lighthouse tower was given a fresh coat of new stucco the same year. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has maintained the property surrounding the lighthouse since 1972 and accepted ownership of the Marblehead Lighthouse tower in May 1998. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate and maintain the lighthouse beacon. Today’s 300 mm lens projects a green signal that flashes every six seconds and is visible for 11 nautical miles (20 km). The distinctive green distinguishes the lighthouse signal from white lights coming from air beacons. In 2001-2002 the state renovated the tower and keeper's house at a cost of $500,000. In 2004 the Fresnel lens was returned to the light station from the Marblehead Coast Guard Station, where it was previously on display. The Ottawa County Historical Society owns the original 1-story fieldstone keeper's house (3 miles (5 km) from the light on OH 163 in Marblehead. The lighthouse is now part of the 9 acre Marblehead Lighthouse State Park. The park features picnic tables and offers views of Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay, Kelleys Island and South Bass Island. The Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society operates the Marblehead Lighthouse Museum in the old keeper's house View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F09_035_1
Subjects: Lighthouses Ohio; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Marblehead Lighthouse (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
 
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse photograph  Save
Description: This color photographs shows the lighthouse at Marblehead, Ohio, at sunset. The lighthouse was built in 1822 to guide sailors safely along the rocky coastline of Lake Erie. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places on December 17, 1969. The image was submitted in the Spirit of Ohio Bicentennial Photo Contest. In August 1976, the Ohio American Revolution Bicentennial Advisory Committee (OARBAC) began the Spirit of Ohio Bicentennial Photo Contest as part of a larger effort in Ohio to celebrate the 1976 American Bicentennial. The contest was meant to document "the spirit and character of the people and places which represent Ohio during [the] bicentennial year," and to create a permanent photographic archive of the year's festivity for use by future researchers. Both professional and amateur photographers submitted over 500 photographs for consideration, all taken within the state between January 1 and December 31, 1976. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL07005
Subjects: American Revolution Bicentennial (1976); Marblehead Light (Ohio); Lighthouses--Ohio; State parks & reserves; Lake Erie
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
 
South Bass Island aerial photograph
Thumbnail image
Save
South Bass Island aerial photograph  Save
Description: Aerial view of the southern end of the South Bass Island in Lake Erie, the location of South Bass Island Light lighthouse. South Bass Island Light was brought into service in 1897 and is considered to be the only lighthouse in the United States to be owned by a university - the Ohio State University. It was constructed on Parker Point on the southwest corner of the island to help mark the passage from Sandusky to Toledo. In 1962 the light was deactivated and the lens was transferred to the Lake Erie Island Historical Museum. The Ohio State University took the permanent possession of the lighthouse in 1997 and currently uses it to house researchers and staff, occasionally making it available for tours. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 5, 1990. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL07512
Subjects: Lighthouses--Ohio; Lake Erie Islands (Ohio); Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Great Lakes (North America); National Register of Historic Places
Places: South Bass Island (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio); Lake Erie
 
Marblehead Lighthouse
Thumbnail image
Save
Marblehead Lighthouse  Save
Description: Marblehead Lighthouse in Marblehead, Ohio, United States, is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on the United States side of the Great Lakes. It has guided sailors safely along the rocky shores of Marblehead Peninsula since 1822, and is an active aid to navigation. In 1819, the fifteenth U. S. Congress recognized the need for navigational aides along the Great Lakes, and set aside $5,000 for construction of a light tower at the entrance to Sandusky Bay. Contractor William Kelly built the 50 foot (15 m) tower of native limestone on the tip of the Marblehead Peninsula. The base of the tower is 25 feet (7.6 m) in diameter, with walls five feet (1.5 m) thick. It narrows to 12 feet (4 m) at the top with two-foot (0.6 m) thick walls. The turn of the century ushered in new technology as well as structural changes including the addition of another 15 feet (4.6 m) to the tower’s height. A clock-like mechanism was installed to rotate the lantern, creating the appearance of a brilliant flash of light every 10 seconds. This system required that the lighthouse keeper crank the weights every three hours through the night to keep the lantern turning. An improved Fresnel lens with prism surfaces created an even more brilliant beacon. An electric light finally replaced the kerosene lantern in 1923, dramatically increasing the intensity of the signal. During World War II, the lighthouse became strategically important for national defense. The last civilian lighthouse keeper resigned, and the United States Coast Guard assumed responsibility for the beacon in 1946. The beacon was automated in 1958. With its original finish tattered by time and harsh weather, the exterior of the lighthouse tower was given a fresh coat of new stucco the same year. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has maintained the property surrounding the lighthouse since 1972 and accepted ownership of the Marblehead Lighthouse tower in May 1998. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate and maintain the lighthouse beacon. Today’s 300 mm lens projects a green signal that flashes every six seconds and is visible for 11 nautical miles (20 km). The distinctive green distinguishes the lighthouse signal from white lights coming from air beacons. In 2001-2002 the state renovated the tower and keeper's house at a cost of $500,000. In 2004 the Fresnel lens was returned to the light station from the Marblehead Coast Guard Station, where it was previously on display. The Ottawa County Historical Society owns the original 1-story fieldstone keeper's house (3 miles (5 km) from the light on OH 163 in Marblehead. The lighthouse is now part of the 9 acre Marblehead Lighthouse State Park. The park features picnic tables and offers views of Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay, Kelleys Island and South Bass Island. The Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society operates the Marblehead Lighthouse Museum in the old keeper's house View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F09_044_1
Subjects: Lighthouses Ohio; Erie, Lake, Coast (Ohio); Marblehead Lighthouse (Ohio); National Register of Historic Places
Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
 
Old Lighthouse at Fairport Harbor
Thumbnail image
Save
Old Lighthouse at Fairport Harbor  Save
Description: Old lighthouse at Fairport Harbor, built in 1825, Lake County, Ohio, ca. 1940-1949. Presently, housing the Fairport Harbor Marine Museum. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL00363
Subjects: Historical museums--Ohio; Lighthouses
Places: Fairport Harbor (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)
 
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Next >
  • Last »
25 matches on "Lighthouses"
Skip to content
OhioPix
FAQ    Advanced Search
Menu
Menu
  • Home
  • Advanced Search
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • OhioPix Use
  • Record Display
  • sitemap

Topics

  • Agriculture
  • American Indians in Ohio
  • Architecture
  • Arts and Entertainment
  • Business and Labor
item in cart
Check out now
Ohio History Connection
FAQ
Advanced Search
Subject heading sitemap
For questions regarding image orders, contact [email protected] or call 614.297.2530.
1. Choose a product option

Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit
use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact
[email protected] before proceeding with your order.
2. Read and Agree

Ohio History Connection Use Agreement and Conditions of Reproduction

  1. One-Time Use. The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of the Ohio History Connection is granted on a one-time basis only, and only for private study, scholarship or research. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
  2. Use Agreement. Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
  3. Credit. Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material owned by the Ohio History Connection must credit the Ohio History Connection. The credit line should read “Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection” and should include the image or call number. The Ohio History Connection appreciates receiving a copy or tearsheet of any publication/presentation containing material from the organization’s collections.
  4. Indemnification. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Ohio History Connection as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless the OHC and its Trustees, Officers, employees and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
  5. Reproduction of Copyrighted Material. Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights.
  6. Copyright. The Ohio History Connection provides permission to use materials based on the organization’s ownership of the collection. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials available through Ohio Memory.
    Warning concerning copyright restriction: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
  7. Photographs of Objects. The Ohio History Connection retains rights to photographs taken of artifacts owned by the Ohio History Connection. The images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use

Quality Disclaimer: To maintain the authenticity and preservation of historic artifacts, the Ohio History Connection will not alter or endanger items in the collection for the purposes of reproduction or digitization. By completing this order form, the signee acknowledges that any and all requests will be completed with conservation in mind and that the images produced will reflect the physical condition of the item which may exhibit dirt, scratches, stains, tears, fading, etc.

Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order.
By clicking I Agree, I consent to the terms, and acknowledge that I am entering into a legally binding agreement.

 
OhioPix
Please note that only 10 images can be processed per order. If you would like to order more than 10, please contact [email protected].