Description: Taken by U.S. Film Service photographer Edwin Locke, ca. 1937, this photograph shows a rubber yard in Akron, Ohio. Numerous rubber companies operated in or near Akron, Ohio, making this city the "Rubber Capital of the World." Among the large-scale rubber producers in the area were the B.F. Goodrich Company, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, and the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company. The advent of the bicycle and the automobile sparked an economic boom which drew workers not only from surrounding counties, but from neighboring states as well.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F10_003_001 Subjects: Akron (Ohio); Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Rubber industry and trade; Works Progress Administration; Ohio Federal Writers' Project Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows Howard Street in Akron, Ohio, in 1890. Streetcar rails run down the middle of the busy street. Horse-drawn wagons are parked on both sides of the street, and pedestrians are visible on the sidewalk. An advertising banner hangs above the street. Patches of snow are scattered on the street and walkways. Telegraph/telephone poles line the street.
Miller & Roche, wholesale and retail grocers, were located on Howard Street. One of their establishments is visible in the left foreground. Another establishment in this photograph is S.E. Allen, a drugstore located at 193 Howard Street (far right, middle).
By the mid-20th century, Howard Street become the center of African-American culture. It was home to many of the city's black-owned business and entertainment establishments, and provided an atmosphere in which minority-owned businesses could thrive. Attracted to the vitality of the neighborhood, entrepreneur George Mathews (1887-1982) established a barbershop here in 1920 and in 1925 opened the adjoining Mathews Hotel. The hotel quickly became the anchor of the Howard Street district. Mathews' success allowed him to endow a scholarship fund at the University of Akron in 1964. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06153 Subjects: Akron (Ohio); Streets--Ohio; Small business--Ohio; Business enterprises--Ohio; African Americans--Ohio Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows a soap box derby race that was held in Akron, Ohio, during the 1930s. Three cars are coasting down a hill on what appears to be a residential street. Spectators line both sides of the street; telephone poles are located along the left side of the street. A man wearing a uniform (possibly a state trooper) stands in the foreground, directly opposite the lead car.
The Soap Box Derby had its origins during the 1930s. Children in Dayton, Ohio, manufactured their own cars. They would build these cars from discarded lumber and other items and then race the autos down hills in the community. The cars were not powered by gasoline or any other type of fuel. The cars simply rolled down the hill with a child inside. The winner was the child that reached the bottom of the hill first.
Myron Scott, a Dayton reporter, covered one of these races. He decided that children across the United States could enjoy this activity, and he began to promote it across the country. In 1934, Dayton held the first "All-American Race," where soap box racers from across the country brought their creations to race. The following year, the race moved to Akron, Ohio, due to its hillier terrain. Since 1935, the All-American Soap Box Derby has taken place in Akron.
In 1936, Akron city officials decided to build a permanent facility for the race. With the assistance of the Works Progress Administration, one of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal programs, the city completed Derby Downs, a soap box racetrack. Thousands of children from across the United States and from other nations have come to race their creations at Derby Downs every year since the track's completion.
In 1936, Akron city officials decided to build a permanent facility for the race. With the assistance of the Works Progress Administration, one of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal programs, the city completed Derby Downs, a soap box racetrack. Thousands of children from across the United States and from other nations have come to race their creations at Derby Downs every year since the track's completion. The only exception to this was a four-year period during World War II, when many activities, including soap box derbies, came to a halt so that people could concentrate on the war effort. Today, children compete for college scholarships in addition to other prizes.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06152 Subjects: All-American Soap Box Derby; Coaster cars; Soap box derbies--Ohio; Akron (Ohio) Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: District #5, 902 City Bldg., Akron, Ohio, Ashland Co.
It is not certain that the structure pictured is the 'City Building' of Akron also, Akron is in Summit County. After the infamous riot of 1900, Akron's City Building, which contained the prison, was rebuilt. The Works Progress Administration in Ohio as part of the Federal Writers Project used this address as a base of operation for the area. In the 1950s the address served as Headquarters of Civil Defense of Summit County.
Photo taken in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F10_001_001 Subjects: Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Stan Hywet Hall in Akron. The former "country estate" of the Frank A. Seiberling family, Stan Hywet Hall is one of the finest examples of Tudor Revival architecture in the United States. Set on an old stone quarry, the name Stan Hewet is Old English for stone quarry.
Frank A Seiberling was the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06891 Subjects: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio); Architecture Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Portrait of Mrs. Katherine B. Claypole of Akron, Ohio. Claypole (1846-1901) was included on the "Ohio State Honor Roll" from the League of Women Voters of Ohio, ca. 1930, which listed prominent Ohio women involved in the suffrage movement. Her brief biography from the Honor Roll reads: "Katherine Benedicta Claypole (Mrs. Edward W.) Mrs. Claypole, of Akron, who did pioneer suffrage work for many years in Ohio and who was secretary of the Ohio Suffrage Association at the time the Ohio School bill was passed, was a member of the National American Woman's Suffrage Association, the Ohio State Suffrage Association, and the American Association for the advancement of Science."
This photograph comes from the League of Women Voters of Ohio Collection. The League of Women Voters was first formed at the national level in early 1920 by Carrie Chapman Catt, President of the National Woman Suffrage Association. Soon, additional leagues began to form at the state and local level, with the League of Women Voters of Ohio being organized in May 1920 in Columbus. The League was first formed to empower women to use their newfound right to vote, and today its primary purpose remains citizen education. To this goal, it supports voter registration efforts, provides information on candidates and issues, sponsors debates and offers publications on public policy and voter engagement topics. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MSS354_B10_LWVO_KatherineClaypole Subjects: Women--Suffrage; Social movements; League of Women Voters of Ohio; Suffragists; Activism Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio);
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use