Description: Photograph of Main Street in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, looking north from Johnson Street. Thebuilding to the right is the Thurman House Hotel, also known as the Hotel Thurman, a 3-story hotel with 35 rooms built in 1888. The hotel was located at 137 South Sandusky Avenue. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of Upper Sandusky. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's department store, and later as a travelling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). He was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07782 Subjects: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Historic buildings--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Hotels; Cities and towns--Ohio Places: Upper Sandusky (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio)
Columbus State Hospital for the Insane photographSave
Description: Black and white oversize photograph of the Columbus State Hospital for the Insane, located on West Broad Street in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1877. Situated in a large wooded area, the hospital campus consisted of a central facility with many interconnected wings and several outbuildings. The Columbus State Hospital, a facility for the care and treatment of mentally ill people, admitted its first patient in 1877. This facility replaced the Ohio Lunatic Asylum, which the Ohio General Assembly established in 1835. Built with a capacity for 150 patients, the Ohio Lunatic Asylum soon became overcrowded, and part of the hospital was destroyed by fire in November 1868. In April 1869 the legislature laid plans for a new structure to accommodate 500 patients. This new hospital, built on the "Kirkbride Plan," was under construction from 1870 to 1877, and represented the largest single public capital investment by the State of Ohio up to that time, with the exception of the Statehouse. The main building contained over 800 rooms and was said to be the largest building under one roof until the Pentagon was constructed in Washington, D.C. In 1996, after years of neglect, the Administration Building was demolished. Over the decades, these two facilities operated under various names including the Ohio Lunatic Asylum, Central Ohio Lunatic Asylum, Central Ohio Hospital for the Insane, Columbus Hospital for the Insane, and Columbus State Hospital. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS2872 Subjects: Columbus State Hospital (Ohio); Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Psychiatric hospitals--Ohio; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: The Sciotoville Bridge in Portsmouth, Ohio, designed and built by two famous American Civil Engineers, Gustav Lindenthal, D.Sc. (1850-1935), the Consulting Engineer (and) David Barnard Steinman, D.Sc. (1887-1960), the designer and stress analyst in 1917. A double track railroad bridge of twin spans each 775 feet long, it remained until 1935 the longest continuous truss bridge in the world and stands today as the prototype for continuous structures. Its construction marked a major advance in the art of bridge engineering and was a pioneer achievement in continuous truss analysis. In beauty of design, size and erection techniques it stands as a landmark of progress in man's mastery of his environment. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06800 Subjects: Bridges--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Transportation--Ohio Places: Portsmouth (Ohio); Scioto County (Ohio); Ohio
Description: The Sciotoville Bridge in Portsmouth, Ohio, designed and built by two famous American Civil Engineers, Gustav Lindenthal, D.Sc. (1850-1935), the Consulting Engineer (and) David Barnard Steinman, D.Sc. (1887-1960), the designer and stress analyst in 1917. A double track railroad bridge of twin spans each 775 feet long, it remained until 1935 the longest continuous truss bridge in the world and stands today as the prototype for continuous structures. Its construction marked a major advance in the art of bridge engineering and was a pioneer achievement in continuous truss analysis. In beauty of design, size and erection techniques it stands as a landmark of progress in man's mastery of his environment. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06801 Subjects: Bridges--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; Transportation--Ohio Places: Portsmouth (Ohio); Scioto County (Ohio); Ohio
Description: This is a photograph of four children and a dog having lunch outside a one-room schoolhouse in Ohio.
This school was mostly likely built as part of the Works Progress Administration project, a government office that hired unemployed Americans to work on various government projects from April 8, 1935, to June 30, 1943. In the first six months that the WPA existed, more than 173,000 Ohioans, including both men and women, found employment through this program. More than 1,500 unemployed teachers in Ohio found work through the WPA teaching illiterate adults how to read. In twelve separate counties, primarily in southeastern Ohio, more than twenty-five percent of families had at least one member working for the WPA during the late 1930s. By the end of 1938, these various workers had built or improved 12, 300 miles of roads and streets and constructed 636 public buildings, several hundred bridges, hundreds of athletic fields, and five fish hatcheries. WPA employees made improvements to thousands of more buildings, roads, and parks within Ohio. WPA artists also painted a number of murals in Ohio post offices. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B06F04_002_1 Subjects: One-room schools; School buildings--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works; Education; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project; School children Places: Ohio
Description: This image of the spire of the First Congregational Church in Tallmadge, Ohio, was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
The First Congregational Church of Tallmadge was established by Reverend David Bacon in 1809. For the first several years, the congregation's services were held in Reverend Bacon's cabin. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, 1825, the structure is considered to be a perfect example of the pure Connecticut-type of Federal architecture. The Historic Tallmadge Church is currently maintained by the Ohio Historical Society.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06384 Subjects: First Congregational Church (Tallmadge, Ohio); Church buildings--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio; United States. Work Projects Administration Places: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact [email protected] before proceeding with your order.
2. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement and Conditions of Reproduction
One-Time Use. The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of the Ohio History Connection is granted on a one-time basis only, and only for private study, scholarship or research. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
Use Agreement. Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
Credit. Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material owned by the Ohio History Connection must credit the Ohio History Connection. The credit line should read “Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection” and should include the image or call number. The Ohio History Connection appreciates receiving a copy or tearsheet of any publication/presentation containing material from the organization’s collections.
Indemnification. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Ohio History Connection as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless the OHC and its Trustees, Officers, employees and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Reproduction of Copyrighted Material. Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights.
Copyright. The Ohio History Connection provides permission to use materials based on the organization’s ownership of the collection. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials available through Ohio Memory.
Warning concerning copyright restriction: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Photographs of Objects. The Ohio History Connection retains rights to photographs taken of artifacts owned by the Ohio History Connection. The images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use
Quality Disclaimer: To maintain the authenticity and preservation of historic artifacts, the Ohio History Connection will not alter or endanger items in the collection for the purposes of reproduction or digitization. By completing this order form, the signee acknowledges that any and all requests will be completed with conservation in mind and that the images produced will reflect the physical condition of the item which may exhibit dirt, scratches, stains, tears, fading, etc.
Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order.
By clicking I Agree, I consent to the terms, and acknowledge that I am entering into a legally binding agreement.