Description: This time-lapse photo depicts a night scene on Court Street in Athens, Ohio, near the campus of Ohio University, ca. 1950-1959. Restaurants, stores, theaters and other businesses catering to OU students can be seen. The banner hanging across the street reads, "Vote for Bill "Tiny" Blackman for Senior Class President."
The streaks of light in the image are car headlights, which appear linear in shape because the car moved through the frame during the exposure time. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05159 Subjects: Streets--Ohio; Ohio University--History; Photography--History Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
Description: A monument to the Coonskin Library in Amesville. The library was founded in 1803 and books were bought with proceeds from animal skins, hence the name "Coonskin Library." The inscription on the monument reads: "This tablet commemorates the Coonskin Library housed in the home of Ephraim Culter - two miles north - in 1804. Placed by the Nabby Lee Ames chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Athens Ohio 1929" View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06874 Subjects: Libraries--Ohio--History; Athens County (Ohio); Books and reading Places: Amesville (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
Description: This US flag with 13 Stars and 13 stripes in red, white and blue was carried by the Athens Ohio boys in the Mexican War. It is rectangular in shape with the dimensions of 145 by 26 cm. It was hand sewn.
It was made by the ladies of Athens, Ohio for the Athens boys who went to the Mexican War. It was carried through the whole Mexican War by John Peters. Submerged in two Ohio River floods which washed out the color of the red stripes.
This item is part of a collection transferred from the Ohio Statehouse Relic Room to the Ohio Historical Society in 1916. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: H65543_001 Subjects: Stars and Stripes; American Colonies; Colonial America
Description: This image shows the McGuffey Elms at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. The elms were planted by William Holmes McGuffey, the 4th President of Ohio University. They were planted during his tenure as President, between 1839 and 1842. Seven of the trees were removed in 1954, a victim of the Dutch elm disease. The parts that could be salvaged were made into plaques, gavels and other mementos. Some of the logs were made into benches which sat in the portico of the University Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06486 Subjects: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio); Ohio University Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use