Brilliant High School marching band photographSave
Description: Dated ca. 1930-1943, this photograph shows the Brilliant High School marching band standing outside Brilliant High School, located on 2nd Street in Brilliant, Ohio, in Jefferson County. Brilliant High School's last year was the 1979-1980 school year, and the building was demolished in 1994. The tuba player in the center of the back row has been identified as James R. (Bob) Gilchrist.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F06_024_001 Subjects: High school; Marching bands; Steubenville (Ohio); Musical instruments; Bands (Music)--Ohio; Students; Federal Writers' Project Places: Brilliant (Ohio); Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing the front of Mr. Brown's Descent, a bar and performance venue located at 1434 North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. A hand-painted sign on the window advertises that evening's show featuring the bands Law and Hard Sauce. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B10F268_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Bars (Drinking establishments); Bands (Music)--Ohio; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Four photographs show The Ohio State University Marching Band performing "Script Ohio" at Ohio Stadium in the 1960s. The photographs document the formation from its beginning on the fifty yard line to the dotting of the "I" in Ohio. In its earliest performances, a trumpet player dotted the "I" of the formation, but this honor quickly fell instead to a sousaphone player for a more dramatic finish. The slides measure 5" x 4" (12.7 x 10.16 cm). Known as "The Best Damn Band in the Land" (TBDBITL), the Ohio State University Marching Band originated as a 12-piece fife and drum corps in 1878. In 1896 Gustav Bruder was hired to lead the band. The band grew in size and began marching for all military and athletic events. In 1899 it played its first football game at Ohio Field. In 1920 the short-lived Varsity Band merged with Bruder's ensemble to create a 100-piece University Band. A staple of the marching band's repertoire is the Ohio's official state rock song, "Hang on Sloopy," first played on October 9, 1965 at the Ohio State vs. Illinois football game. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3112_3735792_001 Subjects: Sports; Arts and Entertainment; Education; Universities and colleges; Stadiums; Bands; Music; Marching bands Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing the dance band on board the U.S.S. Santa Fe, with John Rumora on trombone, ca. 1945-1946.
John George Rumora (1927-) enlisted in the United States Navy on February 24, 1945. He processed through boot camp at Great Lakes and then was assigned to the engine room of the U.S.S. Santa Fe, a CL-60 light cruise which served in the Pacific Theater. Rumora was aboard the U.S.S. Santa Fe when World War II ended, and the crew participated in the occupation of Japan, during which the ship stopped and saw the devastation at Nagasaki in October 1945. After the ship sailed home, Rumora helped prepare the U.S.S. Santa Fe for the mothball fleet in Bremerton, Washington. He was honorably discharged as a Machinist Mate 3/c on July 19, 1946. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC5756_05 Subjects: World War II; United States Navy; Military Ohio; Bands; Military life; Musicians;
Description: Original description reads: "W.P.A. band at Linden Community Center, Dayton, Ohio, June 29, 1936. Louis Becker, director."
The Federal Music Project (FMP), a WPA-sponsored federal project, was designed to give employment to professional musicians registered on the relief rolls during the great depression. The project employed these musicians as instrumentalists, singers, concert performers, and teachers of music. Dr. Nikolai Sokoloff, former conductor of the Cleveland Orchestra, was appointed Director of the FMP. The program was initiated in September 1935 and continued until June 1939, at which time individual states were given the responsibility of continuing or ending current projects. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B12F08_018_001 Subjects: Bands (Music); Musicians--Ohio; Federal Music Project (U.S.); United States. Works Progress Administration Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing a Civil War Army band, captioned, "Old Brighton Band of the U.S. Army in 1865," from the collection of Louis Baus. Baus, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, was born in 1875. He began his career as a professional photographer doing studio work before becoming a staff photographer for the Cleveland Advocate in 1911. Baus worked for the paper, which was later purchased by the Cleveland Plain Dealer, for thirty-eight years until his death in 1949. He was also an avid collector of historic photographs. The Louis Baus Collection consists of over one thousand photographs mounted in eleven albums, showing historic Cleveland, the village of Zoar and Ohio covered bridges and mills.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P223_B01_A02_111 Subjects: United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; Soldiers--Ohio; Military life; Bands (Music)--Ohio Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use