Description: Reverse reads "Warren Co., Lebanon, O., Mar. 24, 1938. Old Cemetery and Church".
The Pioneer Cemetery occupies one city block in Lebanon, Ohio and is bounded by West Main Street, South West Street, West Mulberry Street, and South Harrison Street. There is a wrought iron arch at the corner of West Main Street and South West Street that reads "Pioneer Cemetery 1799." The white church with Doric columns is located at the corner of West Mulberry Street and Ross Street. The graveyard used to be split into two halves, the north being the Baptist Cemetery and the south being the Methodist Cemetery. Because of this, it is sometimes called the Pioneer - Old Baptist - Old Methodist Cemetery.
The large rounded gravestone on the right in the photograph reads "Sacred. To the memory of Ichabod Corwin. who departed this life Oct. 26th, 1834: Aged 67 years. The deceased was the settler in the place where Lebanon stands: March ? 1796. 'And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth.'."
The center gravestone of the three reads: "Sacred to the Memory of Sarah, Consort of Ichabod Corwin, Who departed this life on the 3rd day of May 1852. Aged 81 years. She was a member of the Baptist Church for 65 years her life was ? ? to the doctrine of Christ and her death that of a ? happy and consistent CHRISTIAN. Her remains sleep herein, Jesus ? the ? of her Savior. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord, Amen. She ? nearly two hundred of her descendants for ? that they might follow her example as she followed Christ. What joyful meeting, that in the bright realms of..."
The leftmost gravestone in the grouping of three reads, "In memory of Ichabod Corwin who was born March 30, 1808 and died October 2, 1843 aged 35 years."
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F06_009_001 Subjects: Churches--Ohio; Cemeteries--Ohio--Warren County Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: Caption: Prehistoric Mound at Marietta O.
Photo of Conus mound taken between 1935-1943. The early residents of Marietta recognized the earthworks as an important cultural feature worthy of preservation. It is to their credit that as early as 1788 they enacted resolutions that set aside several of the largest mounds for continual preservation on public lands. Radiocarbon dates, internal mound structure, stone tools, and types of pottery uncovered indicate that at least some portions of the Marietta Earthworks were created by the Hopewell Culture, which flourished generally between 100 B.C. and A.D. 400. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F01_070 Subjects: Mounds--Ohio; Cemeteries--Ohio; Earthworks (Archaeology); Marietta (Ohio) Places: Marietta (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Monument on Mound in Mound Hill Cemetery, Eaton. Ohio.
1- Erected by free contributions of the 17th. day of Oct.1947
2- In memory of Lieut. John Lowery of The second Sub-Legion
Ensign Boyd of the first and 13 non-commissioned officers
and privates who fell about five miles north of this place
in an obstinate engagement engagement with the Indians on
on the 17th. day of Oct. 1793.
Lieut. Lowery was from New Jersey and had served with reputation
in the levies of 1791 under Gen.St.Clair.
in the levies of 1791 under Gen St.Clair.
Ensign Boyd was a young man of much promise; they were in command of
an escort of ninety men having in charge twenty wagons loaded with
3- provisions and stores for the army of Gen. Wayne.
3. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B11F01_028_001 Subjects: Monuments--Ohio; Cemeteries--Ohio; Military Ohio Places: Eaton (Ohio); Preble County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing a small group of people at a graveyard with a fresh grave in foreground covered in flowers and greenery. The Circle Family Glass Plate Negative Collection came in with the records of John Circle, who served as Franklin County Surveyor between 1981 and 2000. The plates are thought to be part of the family history but have no identification. The images are agricultural and have no known history. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV82_014 Subjects: Photography--Ohio; Cemeteries; Churches--Ohio; Funeral rites and ceremonies; Places: Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph of an older man and two young women next to a tombstone at a cemetery. The tombstone appears to read "Samilda-Wife of W.M. Stump-Born Mar. 18, 1854-Died May 11, 1900-Aged 46 y. 1 m. 23 d.-Awaiting the resurection."
This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed "Ewing Brothers" and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934.
The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03628 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Families--Ohio; Cemeteries; Portrait photography--United States--History Places: Ohio; West Virginia
Description: Reverse reads "To be returned to Russell Stites ?. Stites Monument, Cincinnati, Ohio. Ohio Writers Project, 209 Greenwood Bldg."
Monument reads "To the Pioneers landing near this spot Nov. 18, 1788
Once called Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the Pioneer Memorial Cemetery is located at 333 Wilmer Avenue in the Columbia - Tusculum neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbia was settled in 1788, and is the oldest in Hamilton County, having been established one month prior to Losantiville (later called Cincinnati). The cemetery occupies the site of the Columbia Baptist Church, founded in 1790. This cemetery not only has Revolutionary and Cival War veterans, but also Benjamin Stites, the founder of Columbia. The Corinthian column was added in 1888, and was once part of the 1856 Cincinnati Post Office, designed by James Keys Wilson. In 1967 a restoration project was begun by Supervision Horticulturist for the Park Board, Frederick L. Payne, which took four years to complete. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places Austust 29, 1979. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F06_001_001 Subjects: Cemeteries--Ohio--Hamilton County; National Register of Historic Places Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Monument reads, "The Baptists of Columbia Township 1889 Erect this Pillar to commemorate the Heroism and Piety of the Baptists Pinoeers of 1788-90. The First Church in the Nortwest Territory was the Columbia Baptist Church organized Jan. 20, 1790. Constiment (sp?) Members: Benjamin Davis, Marv Davis, John Ferris, Elizabeth Ferris. Jonah Reynolds, Amy Reynolds, John S. Gano, Thomas G. Wade, Isaac Ferris Deacon."
Once called Columbia Baptist Cemetery, the Pioneer Memorial Cemetery is located at 333 Wilmer Avenue in the Columbia - Tusculum neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. Columbia was settled in 1788, and is the oldest in Hamilton County, having been established one month prior to Losantiville (later called Cincinnati). The cemetery occupies the site of the Columbia Baptist Church, founded in 1790. This cemetery not only has Revolutionary and Cival War veterans, but also Benjamin Stites, the founder of Columbia. The Corinthian column was added in 1888, and was once part of the 1856 Cincinnati Post Office, designed by James Keys Wilson. In 1967 a restoration project was begun by Supervision Horticulturist for the Park Board, Frederick L. Payne, which took four years to complete. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places Austust 29, 1979. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F06_011_001 Subjects: Cemeteries--Ohio--Hamilton County; National Register of Historic Places Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Caption on reverse reads: "Stanley Monument in Woodland Cemetery, Dayton, Ohio. To Levi Stanley, king of the Stanley stribe [tribe] of Gypsies. If used for reproduction please use credit line as below. Photograph by Sam R. Kremer Dayton, Ohio"
Levi Stanley (died December 3, 1908) and Matilda Joles Stanley (died January 15, 1878), who were accorded the honorific titles of King and Queen of the Gypsies, are buried in the Woodland Cemetery in Dayton, on the Stanley family plot. The monument has an angel at the top, and a Masonic emblem is visible midway down the column.
More than 25,000 people, nomads from all across the world, gathered at the cemetery in 1878, to mourn the death of Queen Matilda.
Woodland Cemetery is unusual, in that it contains 3 Gypsy Kings and 2 Queens, making it one of the few places considered hallowed ground by Gypsy tribes. Woodland Cemetery is located at 1502 West Central Avenue in Dayton. Designed by John Witten Van Cleve, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F10_040_1 Subjects: Monuments--Ohio; Gypsies; Cemeteries--Ohio--Montgomery County; Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum (Dayton, Ohio) Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
Description: The monument in this photograph is at the grave of Benjamin Hanby. It is located in Otterbein Cemetery in Westerville, Ohio.
Hanby (1833-1867) was a famous composer from Westerville who attended Otterbein College and became a minister in the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. A music composer, he wrote "Darling Nellie Gray," (1856) which depicted some of the evils of slavery. He also wrote "Up on the Housetop" and "Who is He in Yonder Stall?" The Ohio Historic marker near his grave reads "Song writer and minister of the United Brethren Church, Hanby was a graduate of Otterbein College, class of 1858, known throughout the world for inspiring songs, "Darling Nelly Gray," "Up on the House Top," and "Who is He in Yonder Stall?"
Hanby died of tuberculosis at age 33 in 1867. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F10_001_001 Subjects: Composers; Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Music; Arts and Entertainment; Cemeteries--Ohio Places: Westerville (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use