Description: This photograph ca. 1935-1943 is of Saint Teresa of Avila Catholic Parish, located at 1175 Overlook Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45238, in the community of Price Hill. The original church was dedicated in 1916. The photograph shows a cornerstone with the date 1922, which indicates an addition or renovation. The building appears to be stucco with terracotta roof tiles with a keyhole shaped opening in the bell tower. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_030 Subjects: Churches--Ohio; Catholic churches Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Saint Lawrence Church is located at 3680 Warsaw Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio in the community of Price Hill, and was built on one of the highest hilltops in the city. Building began on this Gothic structure with the laying of the cornerstone in 1886 and was completed and dedicated by Archbishop William Henry Alder in 1894. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_031 Subjects: Churches--Ohio; Catholic churches Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: The First United Methodist Church in Mansfield. The history of the Methodist Church goes as far back as the first half of the 18th Century. The driving force behind its founding and philosophy was a man named John Wesley, who was a student at Oxford at the time when the ideas of the Methodist Church were being formed by students interested in religious study. The church became relatively popular in the early days of the United States among those living in the rugged lands being settled. It would come to be widespread throughout the state of Ohio, drawing people in with its idea that all people may go to heaven. Controversy within the Church occurred over divisions about the teachings of John Wesley and the increasingly divisive issue of whether or not it was immoral to keep slaves. This caused multiple divisions within the church and it splintered into numerous separate Methodist denominations. After over 100 years of a divided church, the various Methodist churches joined together and eventually the United Methodist Church was formed. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06732 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Ohio--Religion; Churches--Ohio Places: Mansfield (Ohio); Richland County (Ohio)
Hamline Methodist Episcopal Church in SteubenvilleSave
Description: Photo taken by Works Progress Administration sometime between 1936-1943.
Located at 301 North 4th Street in Steubenville, it now bears the name Sycamore Tree Church.
In 1803 Bishop Frances Asbury, one of the fathers of
Methodism visited Steubenville and in 1810 the first “Methodist Society” or church was organized in Steubenville.
It wasn’t until 1826 that Edwin M. Stanton was converted and became a member.
In 1830 South Street Church experienced their first division. By 1847 the new brick facility, able to hold 500 persons, was completed. This offshoot of the South Street Church took the name of “Hamline”. In 1851 gas lines were installed in both the South Street and Hamline churches, and in 1852 Hamline left the security of South Street Church and became fully independent.
1888 Christmas Service was delivered by Rev. Dr. Youmans View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F05_019_001 Subjects: Churches; Methodist; Episcopal; New Deal; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Works Progress Administration; Federal Writers' Project Places: Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church photographSave
Description: St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church in Tiffin. This church was home to early electrical illumination with an electric, brass chandelier. The history of the Methodist Church goes as far back as the first half of the 18th Century. The driving force behind its founding and philosophy was a man named John Wesley, who was a student at Oxford at the time when the ideas of the Methodist Church were being formed by students interested in religious study. The church became relatively popular in the early days of the United States among those living in the rugged lands being settled. It would come to be widespread throughout the state of Ohio, drawing people in with its idea that all people may go to heaven. Controversy within the Church occurred over divisions about the teachings of John Wesley and the increasingly divisive issue of whether or not it was immoral to keep slaves. This caused multiple divisions within the church and it splintered into numerous separate Methodist denominations. After over 100 years of a divided church, the various Methodist churches joined together and eventually the United Methodist Church was formed. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06787 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Ohio--Religion; Churches--Ohio Places: Tiffin (Ohio); Seneca County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Marie Mont Church, Cincinnati Churches."
Mariemont is among the earliest American planned communities, the work of philanthropist Mary Emery (nee Mary Muhlenberg Hopkins) and planner John Nolen, intended as a "model town" and antidote to the dirt and density of Cincinnati.
Mariemont Memorial Church, sometimes called Mariemont Chapel, was designed in the spirit of an English - Norman church, by Mary Emery and Charles J. Livingood and stands at the center of Mariemont Village, on the site of the burying grounds for the pioneer familes of Stites and Ferris. It is built of limestone obtained from a quarry in nearby Indian Hill, with a tall wooden spire covered with lead sheets. The roof is made of stone tiles, not slate. It was blown off during high winds and was brought from England by architect Louis Jallad, having previously been on the Calcot Tithe barn, which once belonged to the Cistercian monks in Kingswood Abbey and dates from around 1300 B.C. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with the whole of Mariemont Village. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F16_035_1 Subjects: Mariemont (Ohio)--History; Churches--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: These two photographs are views of the Church of the Covenant in Cleveland, Ohio. The Church of the Covenant, a Presbyterian church, located at 11205 Euclid Ave. in University Circle, was established in 1920 as a result of mergers of three churches. The Euclid St. (United) Presbyterian Church was originally located at Euclid and E. 14th St., and was organized in 1853. Known as the Euclid Ave. Church after 1880, it merged in 1906 with Beckwith Memorial Presbyterian Church (organized in 1885), located at Fairmount (E. 107th) St. and Deering St., and became the Euclid Ave. Presbyterian Church. In 1909 this church constructed an English Gothic building on land adjacent to Women's College of Western Reserve University. Designed by Cram and Ferguson, the building featured a rose window and a 140 foot tower between the parish house and sanctuary. In 1920 the Second Presbyterian Church (chartered in 1837), located at the corner of Prospect St. and E. 30th St., joined the Euclid Ave. Presbyterian Church at its Euclid Ave. location. The name was then changed to Church of the Covenant. The photographs are 5" x 7" (12.7 x 17.78 cm). The photographs were taken by Ihna Thayer Frary. The Ihna Thayer Frary Audiovisual Collection was given to the Ohio Historical Society by Mr. Frary in two sections. One was in March of 1963 and the remainder in May of 1965 by his sons, Dr. Spencer G. and Allen T. Frary following their father's death. I.T. Frary (1873-1965) was the publicity and membership secretary for the Museum of Art in Cleveland, Ohio. He taught for many years at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Western Reserve University's School of Architecture. He did much research of Ohio and American architecture and was the author of seven major works and numerous scholarly articles on architectural and art history. One of his major works was Early Homes of Ohio published in 1936. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3374_5971294_001 Subjects: Religion in Ohio; Architecture; Churches Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Dated December 13, 1929, this photograph shows a building identified as First Congregational Church in an unidentified location in Ohio. Congregationalist churches are categorized as a movement rather than a denomination, and are characterized by autonomous operation in the Protestant tradition. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P51_B01F05_01 Subjects: Churches; Religion in Ohio; Historic buildings; Architecture
First Congregational Church in Tallmadge photographSave
Description: Taken by photographer Ihna Thayer Frary in 1935, this photograph shows Tallmadge Church, also referred to as the First Congregational Church, in Summit County, Ohio. The church's construction, led by architect Lemuel Porter, was complete in 1825, featuring a two-story portico and a one hundred foot-high steeple with a weathervane. The church is an example of Federal-style architecture with its roots in New England, a reminder of northeastern Ohio's New England heritage.
Born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1873, Ihna Thayer Frary was a prominent American art and architecture scholar, whose primary interest was the architectural heritage of the region of northeastern Ohio known as the Western Reserve. In addition to serving as publicity and membership secretary of the Cleveland Museum of Art, he was a professor of Ohio and American architecture at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Western Reserve University’s School of Architecture. Over the course of his career, Frary was a design consultant for private clients and designed furniture, and was an active member of several prominent arts councils in the Cleveland area. In 1963, Frary and his two sons donated his entire photographic collection to the Ohio Historical Society (now the Ohio History Connection). The Inha Thayer Frary Collection consists of 4,000 5 x 7 photographs of private residences, churches, taverns, and public buildings, as well as select rural buildings, bridges, archaeological sites, and public monuments. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P112_B54B_4080_01 Subjects: Frary, I. T. (Ihna Thayer); Photography--Ohio; Architecture; Churches; First Congregational Church (Tallmadge, Ohio) Places: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Exterior view of St. Dominic's School at the corner of 20th and Devoise. The St. Dominic Catholic Church in Columbus, Ohio, was established in 1889, and the St. Dominic's parochial school opened September 9, 1889. In the early 1940s, St. Dominic Catholic Church became one of the first Catholic churches in Columbus to have a primarily African American congregation. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07049 Subjects: Schools--Ohio; Churches--Ohio; Columbus (Ohio) Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use