Description: Reverse reads: "Bird Eye View of Mt Adams
from Eden Park Cincinnati Ohio"
Overlooking downtown Cincinnati and the beautiful Ohio River, for more than 200 years, historic Mt. Adams has shared a rich and fascinating history with the City of Cincinnati. Named after President John Quincy Adams, who in 1843 delivered the dedication address for what was then known as the world's most powerful observatory (now site of the Monastery), the Hill has long enjoyed a tradition of fine wine, art and entertainment. Today, Mount Adams is popular among the 21+ age group for its assortment of bars and restaurants. As owners of some of the city's most sought-after real estate, the 1, 600 residents of Mt. Adams have one of the highest per capita incomes in the city. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F04_028_001 Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Street photography--Ohio; Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio) Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Good Samaritan Hospital was started in 1852 by the Sister of Charity for the Saint John's Hospital for Invalids and was located in and old school building at the corner of Broadway Street and Woodward Street. They then moved to a larger building located at 3rd Street and Plum Street and called Saint John's Hospital. In 1866, money was donated for the sisters to buy the old Marine Hospital at Locke Street and Sixth Streets.
The building in this photograph (ca. 1935-1943) is of the then newer facility that was completed in 1915 in the Cincinnati area of Clifton. Two wings were added in 1926, which were replaced in 1982. 1927 and 1945 saw additions to the nurses residences, to accommodate the nursing school which became the nursing department for the College of Mount Saint Joseph. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F14_035_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Hospital architecture; Hospitals--Ohio--Cincinnati; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads "Deer Creek Commons, located on Reading Road, Cincinnati Ohio, was completely graded, drainage corrected, new back-stop erected, installation of additional spectators' benches, repainting of bleachers, sodding, and seeding. Project started December 1,1935 and was completed May 1,1936, employing a average of thirty-five men. Total Cost $34,985, of which W.P.A furnished $33,473." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F01_035_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio); Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works. Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads "Cincinnati, Ohio. September 1937. Conservatory of Music. Highland Avenue and Oak Street, Cincinnati, Ohio."
The Cincinnati Conservatory of Music was founded in 1867 by Clara Baur and was the first music school in the city. It was part of a girls’ finishing school known as Miss Nourse’s School for Young Ladies. The opening of the College of Music of Cincinnati in 1878 was a serious blow to the Conservatory but Miss Baur was able to recruit some first rate faculty which enabled the school to compete with its’ neighbors. The school began to thrive requiring several moves to accommodate their growing needs. In 1902, the Conservatory moved to the former Handy / Shillito Mansion on the corner of Highland Avenue and Oak Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Shillito Mansion, designed by J.W. McLaughlin for merchant John Shillito was finished in 1866 and is sometimes referred to as being in the Elizabethan Renaissance style. Seventy five thousand dollars were invested during this time for additional housing and other facilites to be built on the on the five acre grounds. Samuel Hannaford and Sons were hired to design an additional five story building south of the mansion, which contained classrooms, offices and housing. An auditorium was also built to the east of the main building during this time. Much attention was given to the permanency of these buildings, not only in safety and sanitary qualities, but also in regards to soundproofing and aesthetic qualities. Between 1910 and 1911 another addition was added, built in brick in the Jacobean style, to provide more dormitories and classrooms. During the next twenty years, several surrounding buildings were purchased as the school continued to grow, and it eventually covered ten acres of land. With the death of Clara Baur in 1912, her niece Bertha Baur took over direction and in 1930 gave the Conservatory to the Cincinnati Institute of Fine Arts, turning it into a non-profit organization. In 1955 The College of Music and the Conservatory of Music merged and became the Cincinnati College – Conservatory of Music and in 1962 joined the University of Cincinnati. Sometime after this, the building was demolished, but more information is needed as to the exact date. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_b03f03_004_001 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cincinnati Conservatory of Music; Music--Performance; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use