127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry - 5th United States Colored Troops photographSave
Description: This 5 by 6.75-inch (12.25 by 17-cm) photograph shows members of the 127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, the first African American regiment recruited in Ohio during the Civil War. The regiment was formed in 1863, and was subsequently designated as the 5th Regiment, United States Colored Troops. The photograph was taken in Delaware, Ohio, on Sandusky Street near the Ft. Delaware Hotel. In May 1863, Massachusetts became the first state to organize a regiment of African Americans. Because Ohio did not then allow black men to join its regiments, many Ohioans enlisted in the 54th and 55th Massachusetts Regiments. In the summer of 1863, Ohio Governor David Tod authorized the recruitment of African Americans, and the 127th was formed in Delaware, Ohio, between August and November 1863 as an African American regiment organized under white officers. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03355 Subjects: Delaware County (Ohio); Civil War; 127th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (O.V.I.); 5th Regiment United States Colored Troops; African American soldiers Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Description: On August 15, 1977, the "Big Ear" radio telescope at the Ohio State University Radio Observatory located in Delaware County detected a highly unusual signal whose source has never been identified, raising the possibility that the signal may be the first record of contact with extraterrestrial intelligence. The so-called "Wow!" signal received its name from the note Dr. Jerry Ehman wrote in the margin of this computer printout. This strange signal, unique in radio astronomy history, has never been recorded again.
NAAPO, the North American Astrophysical Observatory, was chartered in 1983 as a non-profit organization originally formed to save, maintain and operate the Ohio State University Radio Observatory's (OSURO) 110-meter "Big Ear" radio telescope, Ohio's only world class radio telescope. A consortium of local colleges and a group of volunteers worked together under the NAAPO charter. Ohio Wesleyan University owned the land on which the "Big Ear" stood and sold it to land developers in 1982. OSU constructed the "Big Ear" beginning in 1956 on OWU land. They operated the radio telescope research for nearly 40 years. The developers leased the land to NAAPO from 1983 through 1997 so they could continue to operate the telescope. In 1998 the "Big Ear" radio telescope was destroyed by the developers and some of the equipment and most of the records were moved to the West Campus of the Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07146 Subjects: Astronomical observatories; Life on other planets; Science and Technology; Ohio State University--History; Telescopes Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Description: The purplish copper is a very rare butterfly that is normally found only in the northwest Ohio counties Williams, Fulton, Lucas, and Paulding. The species has been reported in Wyandot, Morrow, Delaware, Logan, Champaign, and Miami counties, but in lesser numbers. Only one specimen has ever been reported from Hamilton County, in 1917. These butterflies are found in disturbed, moist areas like ditches, fields with poor drainage, and damp areas of cultivated fields. It is a member of the Lycaenidae (gossamer winged) family and can be seen from May to October, with peaks in June, July, August, and September. This species has a wingspan of 0.9 to 1 inches (2.3 to 2.5 cm). In Ohio there are more than 150 species of butterflies. Twenty-seven different species of butterflies representing five families can be found in the Ohio Memory Online Scrapbook, including all seven species of butterflies that are listed as endangered in Ohio. Butterflies are a part of the order Lepidoptera (from the Greek words lepis, which means scale and pteron, which means wing). There are nearly 17,500 species of butterflies world-wide. Approximately 750 of these can be found in North America. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1360_1156992_015 Subjects: Plants and Animals; Butterflies; Insects; Lycaenidae Places: Williams County (Ohio); Fulton County (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio); Paulding County (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio); Morrow County (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio); Logan County (Ohio); Champaign County (Ohio); Miami County (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use