Description: Founded by the Methodist Church in 1842, Ohio Wesleyan University is located in Delaware, Ohio. This illustration depicts Elliott Hall, the oldest building on campus. Originally built in 1833 as a luxury health resort called the Mansion House Hotel, Elliott Hall is Ohio's oldest collegiate Greek Revival building. Renamed in 1877 for Dr. Charles Elliott, who helped establish Ohio Wesleyan University, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and the National Register of Historic Buildings in 1982. This image is from the "Historical Collections of Ohio," published by Henry Howe in 1847. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04167 Subjects: Ohio Wesleyan University; Education, Higher--Ohio--History; College buildings; Cultural Ohio--Education; Greek Revival Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photographic reproduction of an engraved portrait depicting William Holmes McGuffey. McGuffey, who was from Tuscarawas County, Ohio, was a professor at Miami University from 1826 to 1836. Between 1836 and 1845 he served as president of three Ohio institutions: Cincinnati College, Ohio University and Woodward College in Cincinnati. In 1845 McGuffey became a professor at the University of Virginia, where he taught until his death in 1873. He is best known as the author of the popular series of children's textbooks called McGuffey Readers. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03317 Subjects: Authors, American--Ohio; Education, Higher--Ohio--History; McGuffey readers; University presidents Places: Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Ohio State University, University Hall photographSave
Description: University Hall as seen from the west bank of the Olentangy River looking northwest.
The Ohio State University was established in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, a land-grant university.
University Hall opened in September 1873 and it was the first building on the campus. In addition to being the first classroom building, it also housed the library, administrative offices, apartments for faculty, dormitory rooms for male students as well as a chapel. In 1968, due to lack of structural integrity, the building was deemed unsafe and everything was moved out of it. It was torn down in 1971. The new University Hall that was completed in 1976 stands in almost the same spot and was designed to look exactly like the original building on the outside. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07745 Subjects: Education, Higher--Ohio--History; History of the Ohio State University; Ohio State University. Libraries; Architecture--Ohio--Columbus; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus Places: Columbus (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use