Description: This photograph is a bird's-eye view of a teacher and his students in front of their schoolhouse. A small building that is likely the outhouse is seen in the background. An etching in the emulsion of the negative reads: "Our school '07."
This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed “Ewing Brothers” and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934.
The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06701 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Children; Cultural Ohio--Education; Schools--Ohio; Education--Ohio; Portrait photography--United States--History Places: Ohio; West Virginia
Description: Girls' Industrial School inmates in the classroom, ca. 1910-1919. The purpose of the school was "the reformation of exposed, helpless, evil disposed, and vicious girls." In 1878, the term "incorrigible" was added. A five-member board of trustees purchased a piece of property known as the Ohio White Sulphur Springs Resort, eighteen miles north of Columbus. The first six girls were admitted to the school in October 1869. The inmates spent their mornings performing domestic chores. They also learned various vocational trades, including basket-making, music, sewing, and stenography. In the afternoons, the girls attended school, where they studied, reading, writing, spelling, arithmetic, geography, literature, and United States history among other topics. The girls remained at the school until they reached seventeen years of age or completed their sentence. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00210 Subjects: Women--Education - Ohio; Multicultural Ohio--Ohio Women; Delaware (Ohio); Women--Education - Ohio; Ohio History--State and Local Government--Corrections Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
Old Town Hall and Academy, Tallmadge, photographSave
Description: This color image is an exterior view of Old Town Hall and Academy, Tallmadge, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The two-story white building is located within the Tallmadge Town Square Historic District.
The Village of Tallmadge was founded in 1807. The first academy building was erected in 1815. The historic building seen in this image was erected in 1859. It was both a town hall (first floor) and the academy's new home (second floor). Until 1876 the academy served students from northeast Ohio who desired advanced courses not offered by local school systems.
Besides functioning as the town's assembly hall and auditorium, the building also housed various city government and law enforcement offices during its history. During its early years Old Town Hall hosted touring and local theatrical troupes that performed on its stage.
In 1971 the City of Tallmadge made the second floor available to the Tallmadge Historical Society for a museum. Nine years later the Tallmadge City Council leased the entire building to the Society for ninety-nine years.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06634 Subjects: City & town halls; Tallmadge (Ohio); Schools--Ohio; Education--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Delaware County Delaware Co Willis Hi
This photograph shows Frank B. Willis High School located in Delaware, Ohio, ca. 1935. The Willis School was named after Frank B. Willis, who was born in Delaware County and died in the City of Delaware on March 30, 1928. Willis served the citizens of Delaware and the State of Ohio in the Ohio House of Representatives (1900-1904), the U.S. House of Representatives (1911-1915), as Governor of Ohio (1915-1917), and as Ohio’s senator in the U.S. Senate from 1920 until his death in 1928.
Willis School, which housed grades 7-12, opened in 1932 and was named to honor Delaware's native son. The first graduating class was in 1933; the last was in 1962. From 1962 until the present, Willis School housed a middle school for the City of Delaware.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B12F06_021_001 Subjects: School buildings--Ohio; Education--Ohio; Governors--Ohio Places: Delaware (Ohio); Delaware County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use