Description: This is a team photograph of the Oorang Tribe football team with Jim Thorpe in the second row center, October 27, 1922. The team, a National Football League franchise, was sponsored and managed by Airedale terrier breeder Walter Lingo. All of the players were Native American. They were based in LaRue, Ohio, the location of Lingo's kennels. Thorpe served as the team coach and a celebrity spokesperson for Oorang Airedales, and played a few games. The team played two disappointing seasons in the NFL during the years 1922 and 1923. In 1922 their record was 5 wins and 8 losses; in 1923, 2 wins and 10 losses. Jim (James Francis) Thorpe was born in 1888 in Oklahoma to Hiram P. and Charlotte Thorpe. Both Hiram and Charlotte were of European and American Indian heritage and Jim was raised in the Sac and Fox tribes. In 1904 he was sent to a boarding school in Carlisle, Pennsylvania for American Indian children. While at Carlisle he played multiple sports, including football, lacrosse, baseball, basketball, and track. He left Carlisle in 1909 and 1910 to play professional baseball with teams in Eastern Carolina League in North Carolina. He returned to Carlisle in 1911 for two successful football seasons. In both 1911 and 1912 he was an All-American halfback for football. In 1912 he became the only person to win gold medals in both the pentathlon and decathlon at the Olympic Games in Stockholm, Sweden. His Olympic celebrity propelled him a three year contract playing professional baseball for the New York Giants. He also played baseball with the Boston Braves and Cincinnati Reds. However, it was as a professional football player that Thorpe was more successful and strongly tied to Ohio. He was associated with four professional or semi-professional football teams in Ohio as a player and coach: the Canton Bulldogs, the Cleveland Tigers, the Oorang Indians based in LaRue, and the Portsmouth Shoe-Steels. His greatest success was with the Canton Bulldogs, which he led to win national championships in 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1919. From 1922-1923 he was a player and coach for the Oorang Indians, a National Football League team comprised of all native players. The majority of the Oorang Indians team members, like Thorpe, had played at Carlisle. The team owner, Robert Lingo, used the team and Thorpes celebrity to advertise his Oorang Kennels Company, particularly his Airedale terriers. Thorpe played another season with the Bulldogs in 1926 and then went to Portsmouth as a player-coach for the semi-professional Portsmouth Shoe-Steels in 1927. This was Thorpes last athletic job. During the 1930s and 1940s he worked a variety of jobs until he died of a heart attack in 1953.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07881 Subjects: Thorpe, Jim, 1887-1953; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports; Football players; Football--Ohio--History; Sports teams Places: LaRue (Ohio); Marion County (Ohio)
Pro Football Hall of Fame and Fawcett Stadium photographSave
Description: This 1960s photograph shows Fawcett Stadium and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The Pro Football Hall of Fame opened on September 7, 1963. The facility was expanded in 1971, nearly doubling in size. By the end of the twentieth century the museum expanded two more times and drew crowds of 200,000 people annually. This photograph measures 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). John A. Fawcett Stadium, named for a member of the Canton Board of Education, was completed in 1939. At the time it was the largest high school stadium in the United States. The stadium was renovated in 1997. Five teams call the field home: Glen Oak, McKinley, and Timken high schools, Malone College, and Walsh University. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3048_3655556_001 Subjects: Sports; Architecture; Football; Football players; Athletes; Pro Football Hall of Fame (U.S.); Stadiums; Schools Places: Canton (Ohio); Stark County (Ohio)
Description: A large football player figure stands above a sign reading "Campus Activities" outside of a Borden Burger on North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. Beneath the sign is a painted poster featuring a Bible verse from John 14:6. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B12F307_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Football players; Ohio State University -- Athletics; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph identified as the 1898 Central High School football team. The chalk board in the front row reads "C.H.S. Champions, 1898." There were multiple Central High Schools in Ohio during the 1890s--the one seen here may be in Columbus, Canton or Cleveland. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS3511 Subjects: Portrait photography; Football players; Athletes; Sports teams Places: Ohio
Description: Photograph of the Nesser Brothers on the Columbus Panhandle Football Team.
The Columbus Panhandles professional American football team was founded in 1901 by workers at the Panhandle shops of the Pennsylvania railroads. The team played as part of the Ohio League in 1904 and 1907-1919 before joining the National Football League (NFL). They became the first to play an NFL game against another NFL opponent. The team was in existence until 1926.
The Nesser brothers were a famous family among professional football fans in the early 1900s. The 7 brothers worked as boilermakers for the Pennsylvanian railroads and were all considered exceptional athletes in their time. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07142 Subjects: Football--Ohio--History; Football players; Cultural Ohio--Ohio Sports Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
11 matches on "Football players"
1. Choose a delivery format
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use