First Presbyterian Church of West Union photographSave
Description: This color photograph is a close-up of the cornerstone of the historic First Presbyterian Church in West Union, Ohio, ca. 1965-1970. The text reads: “First Presbyterian Church / organized 1800 / erected 1810.” Possibly made of granite, the cornerstone contrasts sharply with the warm-toned stone wall that encases it.
The congregation was organized circa 1800 on Thomas Kirker's land on Eagle Creek, about three miles from West Union. Kirker, Ohio's second governor, was influential in organizing the congregation and raising funds for the building’s construction. Stonemason Thomas Metcalfe, Kentucky governor from 1828-1832, was awarded the contract to build the walls for $250; total construction cost was $500. Before the American Civil War, the First Presbyterian Church's ministers and congregation played an active role in the abolitionist movement, including assisting fugitive slaves. During the Civil War, the church also briefly served as a barracks for the Seventieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, a regiment of recruits from Adams County and eastern Brown County. The church was added to National Register of Historic Places in 1976. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06961 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio; Cornerstones; National Register of Historic Places; West Union (Ohio); Adams County (Ohio) Places: West Union (Ohio); Adams County (Ohio)
St. Joseph Catholic Church, Somerset, Ohio photographSave
Description: This image depicts the first Catholic Church in Ohio, St. Joseph Catholic Church in Somerset, Ohio. The church was established in in 1818 and the first church building was log. A second church was built of stone in 1821 to accommodate the growing congregation. In 1843 the third church building was blessed on St Dominic's day. This building, made of brick, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06408 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio; Somerset (Ohio) Places: Somerset (Ohio); Perry County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: "Clinton County, Wilmington, O., Feb. 16, 1938. Court House."
In 1915, Clinton County passed a resolution declaring a new courthouse was needed. During a competition, the design was awarded to plans submitted by the architectural firm of Weber, Werner & Adkins with a budget of $300,000 allotted to the project. The courthouse was dedicated in 1919 to much ceremony.
The courthouse somewhat resembles the old U.S. Capitol before the Civil War additions. The rusticated foundation is hidden behind a balustrade that wraps around the entire structure. The ground floor consists of smooth stone and arched windows, each with a decorative keystone. The entrances are accessed by a small recessed portico with three large arches. Above the entrances are four colossal Corinthian columns inside a recessed panel. Rectangular windows spread out on either side of this panel, lighting the various rooms within. An entablature supports the flat roof and a balustrade lines the roof. Instead of a typical dome, the building is crowned by a large dome containing a skylight illuminating the stained-glass window inside.
The courthouse is included in the Wilmington Commercial Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 1982 View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F01_004_1 Subjects: Courthouses--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places: Wilmington (Ohio); Clinton County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "Ohio River Trail. Alms Park. Wine cellar at end of trail."
Alms park is located on Mt. Tusculum, overlooking the Ohio River. It was given to the Cincinnati Park Board in 1916 as a memorial to Frederick H. Alms by his wife. The land was once owned by Nicholas Longworth, who produced his famous Catawba wine there before the Civil War. The entrance to his underground wine cellar can still be seen to the northeast of the park's pavilion. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F04_017_001 Subjects: Parks--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph of the Stone Academy, located at 115 Jefferson Street in Zanesville, Ohio. This building was originally constructed in 1809 with funds donated by Dr. Increase Mathews, Levi Whipple, and Ebenezer Buckingham, in Putnam, which was then a separate and rival community. Built of sandstone from nearby Putnam Hill, it was originally meant to serve as the new state capitol building. John McIntire and others constructed a building of their own to compete for the honor. State legislature selected Zanesville to serve as the capital of Ohio from 1810 to 1812, and the Putnam building became a school and held many public functions. The State Abolition Society held meetings there in 1835 and 1839, and it also served as a station on the Underground Railroad.
In 1840, it was converted to a private residence and was the childhood home of author, actress and activist Elizabeth Robins. Sometimes called The Robins House, the 2-story stone building was left to the Pioneer and Historical Society in 1983 by Mrs. Richard (Lydia McHenry) Taylor and it has served as a museum since. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06436 Subjects: Zanesville (Ohio); Architecture--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio; Ohio Government Places: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)
Description: This image is the front cover of the book "Twenty East Broad as History Reflects It," published by City National Bank of Columbus, Ohio. This short text tells the history of the building located at 20 E. Broad Street in downtown Columbus, near the intersection of Broad and High Streets.
Known as the Hayden-Clinton Bank Building, the structure was built in 1869 by industrialist Peter Hayden. Nathan B. Kelley designed the bank building, an example of High Victorian Italianate style. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06941 Subjects: Books and reading; Banks and banking--Ohio; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use