Ohio State University, University Hall photographSave
Description: University Hall as seen from the west bank of the Olentangy River looking northwest.
The Ohio State University was established in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College, a land-grant university.
University Hall opened in September 1873 and it was the first building on the campus. In addition to being the first classroom building, it also housed the library, administrative offices, apartments for faculty, dormitory rooms for male students as well as a chapel. In 1968, due to lack of structural integrity, the building was deemed unsafe and everything was moved out of it. It was torn down in 1971. The new University Hall that was completed in 1976 stands in almost the same spot and was designed to look exactly like the original building on the outside. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07745 Subjects: Education, Higher--Ohio--History; History of the Ohio State University; Ohio State University. Libraries; Architecture--Ohio--Columbus; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus Places: Columbus (Ohio)
Description: This photograph of the Ohio State School for the Blind was taken from behind the school in the 600th block of Bryden Alley. The school stood at 240 Parsons Avenue and was built in 1839 as the nation's first public school for the visually impaired. After the school moved to its current location at 5220 N. High St, the Ohio State Highway Patrol was stationed at the building. Currently the facility is the location of the Columbus Health Department.
The Ohio State Institution for the Education of the Blind was established in April of 1837 and by July of 1837 began instruction in rented rooms. The first school building was built in 1839, and could accommodate sixty students.This photograph, ca. 1935-1943 shows the four story sandstone structure in the Second Roman style of architeture with a Mansard roof. It is located on the corner of Parsons Avenue, and East Main Street in Columbus, Ohio and first opened it's doors on May 21, 1874. The building has undergone several renovations, and once had a central tower reached an additional three stories, and pointed spires on the north and south ends. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F10_014 Subjects: Ohio State School for the Blind; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus--Pictorial works. Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows S.T. Mitchell Hall, C. N. & I. Wilberforce University, a structure designed by Frank Packard and erected in 1912. (C.N.&I. refers to "Combined Normal and Industrial" department.) As seen in this photo, Mitchell Hall is a three-story building situated on an expanse of lawn with a few young trees. The building was used as a residence hall for 75 girls, an office, a kitchen and dining room, and a small laundry. Six employees lived on the premises. This image is part of the data gathered from an inventory of physical properties owned by the state, ca. 1931. The inventory was conducted by the Ohio Department of Finance in 1931.
In 1856, the Methodist Episcopal Church established Wilberforce University near Xenia, Ohio, to provide African American access to a college education. The university was the first private black college in the United States. Its founders named the institution after William Wilberforce, a prominent eighteenth-century abolitionist. A number of African-American Ohioans attended the school during its early years. During the American Civil War, attendance declined as many students enlisted in the Union army. Wilberforce University closed in 1862.
In 1863, the African Methodist Episcopal Church acquired ownership of the university. Under the direction of Daniel Payne, a bishop in the African Methodist Episcopal Church, John Mitchell, the principal of a school in Cincinnati, and James Shorter, an African Methodist Episcopal pastor from Zanesville, Ohio, Wilberforce reopened its doors. The institution operated as a private university serving the African-American community for the next twenty-four years. In 1887, the State of Ohio began to provide Wilberforce with funds to help finance the institution, brought to an end the university's exclusively private status. The state also helped the university create a Normal and Industrial Department that eventually evolved into Central State University.
Wilberforce University has experienced steady growth throughout the twentieth century. During the last decades of the twentieth century, the institution built a new residence hall, a student health center, a recreation and sports facility, and an administrative center. The university offers more than twenty degree programs and has exchange programs with universities around the world. In 2003, enrollment was more than 1,200 students. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05851 Subjects: Cultural Ohio--Education; Wilberforce University; Historical Black Colleges and Universities; Education, Higher--Ohio--History; Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus--Pictorial works; Xenia (Ohio) Places: Wilberforce (Ohio); Greene County (Ohio)
35 matches on "Historic buildings--Ohio--Columbus"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use