Description: This color postcard features interior and exterior views of the Seneca Hotel, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. The background image shows the hotel's brick exterior from a distance, with parked cars on the street and a row of leafy trees. Four insets show the hotel lobby, the interior of a typical room, the so-called beverage room (the bar), and the Columbus Room, a dining area. The name of the hotel's vice president and general manager, James H. Michos, appears in the lower right corner of the postcard.
Designed by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard (1866-1923), the 10-story Seneca Hotel was built in 1917. It was the first high-rise structure in the city of Columbus, and it ranked among the city's most luxurious hotels. During its history the Seneca was home to the Ohio State Faculty Club and later became office space for the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. In 1987 the Ohio EPA moved out, and the Seneca remained closed until it was renovated and reopened in 2008 as a 77-unit apartment building. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05861 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This picture postcard shows the Seneca Hotel, located on the corner of Broad and Grant Streets in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. Built in 1917, the Seneca was designed by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard (1866-1923). Ten stories high, the Seneca was first high-rise building in Columbus.
This postcard has two color images: one of the hotel's red brick exterior and the other of its elegant lobby and luxurious furnishings. A caption reads: " Seneca Hotel / Columbus, Ohio / Half Block East of Memorial Hall."
The Seneca Hotel ranked among the city's finest hotels for many years. For a time it housed the Ohio State Faculty Club and later was converted to offices for the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. In 1987 the Ohio EPA moved from the building, which remained closed until it underwent a $21 million renovation and reopened in 2008 as a 77-unit apartment building. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05862 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows the an area of downtown Youngstown, Ohio centered on the intersection of North Front Street and South Phelps Street, with the rolling hills of the suburbs in the distance.
The station for the Youngstown & Suburban Railway as well as the Pittsburgh, Libson & Western R.R. could be found 21 North Front Street, and is probably near the left side of the photograph.
Trinity United Methodist Church, located at 30 West Front Street, is just visible at the bottom left corner of the photograph.
The Falcon Bronze Company (left of center in the photograph), located at 218 South Phelps, was incorporated in 1895. The brass founders were manufacturers of brass, bronze, and copper castings for rolling mills, steel plants and blast furnaces.
In front of Falcon Bronze is a sign for “Parking” for a “? ‘s Super Service Station” in the 100 block of West Front Street.
The Hotel Ohio (also called The Ohio or Ohio Hotel), visible on the far right side of the photograph, has been a fixture in downtown Youngstown for at least a decade. In 1912, a new building was built with 400 rooms at 131 West Boardman Street at the southwest corner of South Hazel Street. Before 1947, the name was changed to the Pick-Ohio Hotel, and while having always been an excellent hotel, was now one of the Albert Pick Hotels; famous for hospitality and service and complete with convention and banquet facilities. Since the early 1980's, the building has been home to the Youngstown Metropolitan Housing Authority. Renamed Amedia Plaza, the 12-story building, which houses YMHA’s corporate offices, also features 92 senior apartments managed by YMHA. Renovations costing $6 million dollars were completed in 2002 by architects Ricciuti Balog & Partners which replaced windows, lighting and plumbing, and updated the heating and cooling system, making the building more energy efficient. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F03_048_001 Subjects: Hotels--United States; Foundries--United States; Railroad stations--Ohio; Churches, Methodist; Pick, Albert, 1895-1977 Places: Youngstown (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)
Description: Two photographs show the Golden Lamb hotel in the 1960s. Jonas Seaman opened the Golden Lamb tavern in 1803, the year Ohio became a state. The establishment was a success and became known for its quality food and lodging. Two years later the Warren County courthouse was built across the street, increasing the business of the Golden Lamb. The tavern served as a meeting place for troops during the War of 1812 and as a stagecoach stop during the nineteenth century. The Golden Lamb, which continued to operate into the 21st century, is one of the oldest hotels in Ohio. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The photographs measure 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3054_3656300_001 Subjects: Business and Labor; Hotels; National Register of Historic Places Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: This is a picture of the dining room of the Golden Lamb Hotel in Lebanon, Ohio. The hotel is located at the corner of Broadway and Main Street. The room has a closed fireplace and mantle as well as a five chairs and a table. The walls are covered with wall paper and pictures, and a light hangs from the ceiling. The room has double doors opening to a second room where one man is standing and several others are sitting.
The Golden Lamb, formerly the old Lebanon House, is the oldest hotel in the state of Ohio, being established by Jonas Seaman in 1803. The establishment was a success and became known for its quality food and lodging. Two years later the Warren County courthouse was built across the street, increasing the business of the Golden Lamb. The tavern served as a meeting place for troops during the War of 1812 and as a stagecoach stop during the nineteenth century. The present day, four-story building was built in 1815 during the rebuilding of the inn. The inn has had many famous guests such as Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, and twelve United States Presidents. The Golden Lamb, which continued to operate into the 21st century, is one of the oldest hotels in Ohio. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F07_044_001 Subjects: Golden Lamb (Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio); Historic hotels; Dining rooms Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use