Globe Iron Company factory exterior photographSave
Description: Reverse reads: "The Globe Iron Co, the largest manufacturers of Hi-Scilicon Iron in the U.S. They employ 200."
This is an external view of the The Globe Iron Company buildings in Jackson, Ohio.
Globe Furnace was founded in 1872, near the present day intersection of Main and South Streets, in Jackson, Ohio by Captain Lewis Davis. In 1873 the company merged with the local Fulton Furnace Company and renamed as Globe Iron Company. A chance discovery was made around 1887 of silvery pig iron, an alloy of iron, manganese and silicon. It was found that this alloy was useful in many different applications and became so successful that they paid all their debts and eventually began making improvements to the facilities, both in 1901 and 1912. A new blast furnace was erected in 1929, but with the onset of the Depression, the company experienced a downturn in sales which lasted until World War II, when the demand for pig iron greatly increased. In 1956, Globe merged with Interlake Iron Corporation. On September 4, 1960 a large explosion shook the iron plant with damage so widespread that the blast furnace never reopened. By the late 1960s, the plant had been leveled and the Jackson Square Shopping Center built on the land. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F11_007_1 Subjects: Iron industry and trade--Ohio; Jackson County (Ohio)--History; Industries--Ohio; Pig-iron; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.) Places: Jackson (Ohio); Jackson County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "This is the first National Cash Register opened, this register used roll paper. It was first used in the Miners' Supply Co. in Coalton, Ohio."
This is a photograph of the first National Cash register ever used at the Miners' Supply Co. in Coalton, Ohio. It is shown here opened.
The National Cash Register Company was founded by John H. Patterson in Dayton, Ohio. Patterson (1844-1922), hoping the machines could save him money by reducing accounting errors in his supply business, purchased the patent rights to the cash register from James Ritty in 1884. Within six months, he reduced his debt and showed a profit. Patterson built the first National Cash Register factory on his family's farm in Dayton in 1888. By the turn of the century, the company had become one of the largest employers in Dayton. Known for his strict training program for salespeople and health and education programs for employees, Patterson was closely involved in the daily lives of many of his workers. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F11_013_1 Subjects: Stores, Retail--Ohio--Coalton; Jackson County (Ohio)--History; Patterson, John Henry, 1844-1922; Industries--Ohio--Dayton; Business and Labor; National Cash Register Company; United States. Work Projects Administration (Ohio) Places: Coalton (Ohio); Jackson County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use