Description: Reverse reads: "The High School Stadium- Smithfield, Jefferson County. Built by WPA. Presented by Mr. S.M. Redley."
This is a photograph of the Smithfield High School Stadium in Jefferson County, Ohio. The stadium was built as part of the Works Progress Administration, a government program that hired unemployed Americans to work on various government projects from April 8, 1935 to June 30, 1943. In the first six months that the WPA existed, more than 173, 000 Ohioans, including both men and women, found employment through this program. More than 1, 500 unemployed teachers in Ohio found work through the WPA teaching illiterate adults how to read. In twelve separate counties, primarily in southeastern Ohio, more than twenty-five percent of families had at least one member working for the WPA during the late 1930s. By the end of 1938, these various workers had built or improved 12, 300 miles of roads and streets and constructed 636 public buildings, several hundred bridges, hundreds of athletic fields, and five fish hatcheries. WPA employees made improvements to thousands of more buildings, roads, and parks within Ohio. WPA artists also painted a number of murals in Ohio post offices. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F01_035_001 Subjects: High schools--Ohio; Jefferson County (Ohio)--History; Stadiums; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.) Places: Smithfield (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
Description: Handwritten on reverse: "Hill Top District. Mingo Jct, O. Miller and Son 436 Market St. Steubenville, Ohio." Written on the front is the name of the photographer and the date "3-20-39."
Mingo Junction High School was dedicated in 1930. The 3-story brick building replaced the Central High School, which was destroyed by fire in 1917. A new gymnasium was added in 1957.
The Mingo Indian tribe (now referred to as the Seneca-Cayuga tribe) once had a settlement at the location of the present-day village, which is the source of its name. Originally known as Mingo Bottom, it was the starting point for the ill-fated Crawford expedition against hostile Indians in 1782, during the American Revolutionary War. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F06_045_001 Subjects: Streets--Ohio; Jefferson County (Ohio)--History; Places: Mingo Junction (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
Description: Handwritten note of reverse reads: "The last roll call. Civil War vets in front of Stanton's statue. Sort of a striking future all these are dead now. Can get their names if needed - Jene E. Bishop."
This photograph shows five men, veterans of the Civil War, standing in front of the Edwin Stanton statue which stands on the steps of the Jefferson County Courthouse in Steubenville, Ohio. All the men wear a badge and ribbon. A photographer's mark on the front of the photo reads: "Ideal Photo"
Four of the men wear a ribbon which reads "In Memoriam. E. M. Stanton, G. A. R. (Grand Army of the Republic) Steubenville, Ohio."
The man second from the left has only one arm.
The man second from the right is wearing an electric hearing device, which were invented in the early 1900s) and his ribbon clearly reads "Henry Hale" (fought in the Civil War Company G, 43rd Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Died May 19, 1862)
The engraved plaque on the front of the statue reads: "Edwin McMasters Stanton. Born in this city December 19, 1814. U.S. Attorney General 1860 1861. Secretary of War 1862 1868. U.S. Supreme Court 1869. Died December 24, 1869. Erected 1911."
The Edwin M. Stanton Monument stands in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse, at 301 Market Street. The 18 foot bronze likeness of Stanton, unveiled in 1906, was sculpted by Alexander Doyle of Steubenville. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F06_001_001 Subjects: Ohio--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Veterans; Grand Army of the Republic. Dept. of Ohio; Stanton, Edwin McMasters, 1814-1869--Statues' Doyle, Alexander, 1857-1922 Places: Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
Brilliant High School science class photographSave
Description: Dated ca. 1930-1943, this photograph shows students of Brilliant High School sit in, what is most likely either chemistry or biology class at desks with sinks. The student near the left side of the photograph appears to be reading an article from the newspaper about baseball titled: "Greetings to Rosy Rowswell, from the home town Tarentum [Pennsylvania]." Brilliant High School was located at 436 Market Street Steubenville, Ohio, in Jefferson County, Ohio. Brilliant High School's last year was 1970, when the school merged with Smithfield High School to become Buckeye North High School. A few years later Buckeye North, South and West merged to create Buckeye Local High School.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F06_025_001 Subjects: High schools; Classrooms; Steubenville (Ohio); Students; Teachers; Science--Study and teaching Places: Brilliant (Ohio); Steubenville (Ohio); Jefferson County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use