Mahoning Coal Rail Road Company stock certificateSave
Description: Stock certificate for the Mahoning Coal Rail Road Company, ca. 1871-1900. The company, which was incorporated in 1871, extended from Youngstown, Ohio, to Andover, Ohio (a distance of about 38 miles). The certificate, numbered 972, has no information in its fields. An oval-shaped illustration includes images of a steamboat, locomotive and train cars, depot, and bystanders. Share price is $50. The company's predecessors were Mahoning and Shenango Valley; Shenango Valley; Stewart Railroad. Its successor was Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, which in 1914 merged with New York Central and Hudson River Railroad to form New York Central Railroad. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05780 Subjects: Stock certificates--1890-1900; Railroads--Ohio; Mahoning County (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Economy--Business
Jones Hall at the entrance to Youngstown CollegeSave
Description: Reverse reads:" Entrance to Youngstown College Youngstown, Ohio Mahoning County."
Picture shows Jones Hall at the corner of Wick and Lincoln avenues in Youngstown, Ohio. Jones hall is a three story limestone structure build in the Tudor architectural style, with oriel windows and a four-centered (Tudor) arch entrance way flanked by octahedral crossing towers. The towers each feature an octahedral spire with a cross-shaped finial at the top.
The picture appears to be taken from the edge of the road so a cement sidewalk separates the building from the foreground. Several large trees grow in the lawn outside of the building.
Formerly known as simply the "main building," Jones Hall was renamed in 1967 in honor of Howard W. Jones, former president of Youngstown College. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F11_003_001 Subjects: Youngstown College, Youngstown, Ohio; Youngstown (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Places: Youngstown (Ohio); Mahoning (Ohio)
Mahoning County Courthouse, Canfield, photographSave
Description: This color image shows an exterior view of the Old Mahoning County Courthouse, Canfield, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969.
Mahoning County was created in 1846 by combining townships from southern Trumbull and northern Columbiana counties. Canfield competed successfully with several surrounding communities to become the new county's seat. Its success was attributed to its central location and also to the political influence of Judge Eben Newton and Elisha Whittlesey, Esq., comptroller of the United States Treasury from 1849-1857. The State of Ohio required the county to provide "a suitable lot and $5,000 toward public buildings." Judge Newton donated the land and spearheaded the subscription of the state-required bond.
This Greek Revival courthouse was completed in 1848, and an Italianate-style west wing was added in 1862.
Canfield's governmental status was challenged in the early 1870s when Youngstown, by now a city, resumed its earlier quest to become the county seat. To meet the challenge, Canfield hired James A. Garfield, future president of the United States, to defend it before the Ohio Supreme Court. The Court's 1876 decision favored Youngstown, thus ending Canfield's era as the seat of Mahoning Valley government. With government records removed to Youngstown, the property reverted to Judge Newton, who donated it for educational purposes.
For more than four decades the old courthouse housed both private and public schools until a 1923 public auction by the Canfield Village Board of Education dispensed with the building. Now under private ownership, the former courthouse served many commercial enterprises, including the temporary return of a county district court. An exterior restoration in the 1960s and the reconstruction of the missing bell tower returned the aging beauty to its present status as one of Ohio's finest examples of public architecture. The Old Mahoning County Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06629 Subjects: Courthouses; Justice centers; Justice--Administration of; National Register of Historic Places; Mahoning County (Ohio); Canfield (Ohio); Local government Places: Canfield (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use