Description: A map of Ohio Indian village sites and trails, done by H.C. Shetrone and R.B. Sherman of the Ohio Historical Society. Also included on the map are American and European posts, the Greenville Treaty line, and notations for whether an Indian town was associated with the Delaware, Wyandot, Shawnee or Miami tribe. A chronology printed on either side of the map covers Ohio's history and settlement, as well as interactions between American Indians and settlers, from 1669 until 1842. Shetrone was Curator of Archaeology for the Ohio Historical Society between 1921 and 1928 and served as the Society's director from 1928 until 1947. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MAP_VFM0477_4 Subjects: American Indians in Ohio; Maps--Ohio; Map drawing; American Indian history and society; American Indians--Maps; Treaty of Green Ville (1795); Places: Ohio
'Indian Trails and War Roads in South-Western Ohio' mapSave
Description: This map shows American Indian trails and war roads throughout the southwestern Ohio region, dating from the last decades of the 18th century. Also identified on the map are locations of towns, camps and settlements; millitary forts and stockades; important natural resources; sites of battles during the Ohio Indian Wars; and other points of interest. According to the title, the map was drawn by Morten Carlisle and published in 1930, and was compiled from a map by R. G. Lewis and Walter M. Dawley with the aid of W. H. Burtner and John B. Hunley.
The original map has been split into six pieces. The final digital image shows these pieces positioned in their original order. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MAPVFM0434_4_01 Subjects: American Indian history; American Indians--Maps; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; American Indian tribal leaders; Battlefields; Places: Southwestern Ohio
Description: Mapmaker John Melish created this map of Ohio around 1812. The map shows the land office districts in Ohio, including the Virginia Military District, and Ohio Company and the Western Reserve lands. The border of the American Indian lands in the northwest part of the state is drawn on the map. It is hand colored and measures 9.45" x 9.45" (24 x 24 cm). Originally from Scotland, Melish was an important figure in early United States cartography, or mapmaking. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1529_1169180_001 Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; American Indians in Ohio; Maps--Midwest--Ohio Places: Ohio
Description: Illustration of Ginther Mound and Circle from a map by Squier and Davis.
Ginther Mound, so-named after landowner Mary Ginther, was a small flat-topped mound located along the east bank of the Scioto River about 2 miles upstream from Mound City in Ross County, Ohio. Other nearby mound and earthwork sites included the Cedar Bank Works to the north and the Hopeton Earthworks to the south. In their original survey Squier and Davis describe Ginther Mound as a truncated pyramid or raised square 120 feet on a side. From their cursory fieldwork they noted that Ginther Mound contained no remains but theorized it was constructed as a raised site for a temple. Henry Shetrone’s work there in 1922 confirmed that the mound structure itself contained no archaeological remains but was constructed over an extensive ceremonial floor containing fire places and post patterns. Later analysis of artifacts found on the floor indicate that it was most likely constructed by the Hopewell Culture between 100 B.C. and A.D. 400. As an earthwork form, flat topped mounds are rare in Ohio and are more commonly associated with the later Mississippian Culture (1000-1650 A.D.) of the southeast. Still, prominent and well-preserved examples also dating to the Hopewell Period can be found in Marietta. Lesser forms long since destroyed by development were also noted at Newark and Portsmouth.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV17_B02F04_E1_09 Subjects: Ginther Mound (Ohio); Earthworks (Archaeology); Hopewell culture--Ohio; Maps Places: Ross County (Ohio)
Beauty Spots and Parks of Cleveland and Vicinity mapSave
Description: This map titled "Beauty Spots & Parks of Cleveland & Vicinity," was produced by the Federal Arts Project of the Works Progress Administration, with a note on its reverse which reads "Graphic Arts Map. Beauty Spots & Parks of Cleveland & Vicinity, Mr. Hawkins" and a stamp for Ernest Graham, Cleveland, Ohio. Main points on the map include the Stadium, Brookside Park Zoo, Garfield Park, Washington Park, Forest City Park, Rockefeller Park, Woodland Hills Park and several spots are marked 'Metropolitan Park System.'
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F08_10_01 Subjects: Cleveland (Ohio)--Maps; Cleveland Region (Ohio)--Maps; Cleveland Metropolitan Area (Ohio)--Maps; Parks--Ohio--Cleveland Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: This 1866 map shows Cincinnati, Ohio, as well as Newport and Covington, Kentucky, directly across the Ohio River. It was drawn by Gilbert & Hickenlooper (of No. 200 Vine Street in Cincinnati) for inclusion in the 1866 edition of the Williams' Cincinnati Directory. Covington and Newport are two Kentucky cities situated on the Ohio River and separated from one another by the Licking River. They are considered a part of the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area (or Greater Cincinnati) which includes counties in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. These two cities were first connected by bridge in 1853, and the John Roebling Suspension Bridge, connecting Covington with Cincinnati across the Ohio River, was completed in 1866.
In 1788, Israel Ludlow, Matthias Denman, and Robert Patterson purchased eight hundred acres from John Cleves Symmes along the Ohio River at the Licking River's mouth. By early January 1789, Ludlow had platted the town, and the three men named the town Losantiville. The name was a convoluted contraction of the idea that this was a "city across from the mouth of the Licking River." In 1790, the governor of the Northwest Territory, Arthur St. Clair, proceeded to establish Hamilton County and made Losantiville the county seat. St. Clair disliked the name Losantiville and changed the town's name to Cincinnati in recognition of the Roman citizen soldier Cincinnatus.
Cincinnati emerged as a major city, primarily due to its strategic location on the Ohio River, and by 1820 had reached a population of nearly ten thousand people. By the late 1880s, Cincinnati was the largest city in Ohio, with almost 300,000 people. It also had the densest population of any city in the United States, with an average of 37,143 people per square mile. By 1890, Cincinnati had provided Ohio with thirteen governors and had become an important industrial, political, literary, and educational center in both Ohio and the United States.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MAPVFM0426_4 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--History; Ohio River; Maps--Midwest--Ohio; Bridges--Ohio River; Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio); Newport (Kentucky); Covington (Kentucky)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use