Description: Reverse reads: “Mariemont Inn Erected 1925-27 Mariemont Ohio”
Opened to the public on April 13, 1926, the Mariemont Inn was established by the Mariemont Company as a three-story building, which contained an inn and a row of shops. The Mariemont Inn was designed by architects Zettle and Rapp, and the Tudor Revival design style was selected to set the tone for the entire village of Mariemont. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B06F10_011_1 Subjects: Mariemont (Ohio)--History; Hamilton County (Ohio) Places: Mariemont (Ohio); Hamilton (Ohio)
Description: The Joseph Ferris home was at one time located at 5801 Wooster Pike (US 50) in Cincinnati, Ohio on a 700 acre farm in the village of Mariemont in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Federal and Greek Revival style house, designed by Joseph Ferris himself, now has the address of 5729 Dragon Way, Fairfax, Ohio, due to the expansion of the roads going through the property. The home was originally built either in 1815 or 1820 of red brick with white trim and a large porch. The home was improved upon many times. First, a narrow offset two story addition, which may have been later connected to the main house, with the result being a grand three story home with Ionic columns supporting a portico, which today stands on .9 acres of land.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places June 30, 1975 and is now occupied by the Eisele Gallery of Fine Art.
Joseph Ferris, son of Jedathan Ferris, was born in Fairfield County, Connecticut on September 20, 1776 and died May 16, 1831. He moved to the Cincinnati area with his two brothers, Andrew and Eliphalet Ferris. They were one of only a dozen or so families in what was then Spencer Township. He married Pricilla Knapp, with whom he had eight children; Phoebe, Andrew, Charles, Joseph, Sally (Sarah), Mary, James and Ruth. Joseph built a frame house school on his farm, the first in the area, and hired teachers, whom he paid himself, to educate not only his children, but any others who wanted to attend. He was a prominent member of the community, a Whig and a member of the Masonic Lodge of Cincinnati. His children Joseph (died December 22, 1891), Andrew (died May 8, 1890), Charles (died September 2, 1883), and Phoebe (died December 18, 1896) never married and remained living together in the family home until their deaths. The Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology of Cambridge, Massachusetts explored the area in 1880 and found many important Indian relics including earthwork remains of three forts, about 1400 skeletons, weapons such as jasper spearheads, bone and stone implements and cooking vessels. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F05_030_001 Subjects: Architecture; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc; May Department Store Company; National Register of Historic Places Places: Mariemont (Ohio); Fairfax (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: “Lake at Mariemont memorial to Mary Emery”
This photo depicts the stone stairway leading from the south side of Mariemont Boat House to its lagoon. Built in near the intersection of Pleasant Street in 1930, the Boat House was intended to be a haven for boaters in the summer and skaters in the winter, but it eventually acted as a storage area for canoes and rowboats. Due to silting problems, the lake was eventually filled in by a pasture after 1945. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B06F10_010_1 Subjects: Mariemont (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio) Places: Mariemont (Ohio); Hamilton (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Marie Mont Church, Cincinnati Churches."
Mariemont is among the earliest American planned communities, the work of philanthropist Mary Emery (nee Mary Muhlenberg Hopkins) and planner John Nolen, intended as a "model town" and antidote to the dirt and density of Cincinnati.
Mariemont Memorial Church, sometimes called Mariemont Chapel, was designed in the spirit of an English - Norman church, by Mary Emery and Charles J. Livingood and stands at the center of Mariemont Village, on the site of the burying grounds for the pioneer familes of Stites and Ferris. It is built of limestone obtained from a quarry in nearby Indian Hill, with a tall wooden spire covered with lead sheets. The roof is made of stone tiles, not slate. It was blown off during high winds and was brought from England by architect Louis Jallad, having previously been on the Calcot Tithe barn, which once belonged to the Cistercian monks in Kingswood Abbey and dates from around 1300 B.C. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with the whole of Mariemont Village. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F16_035_1 Subjects: Mariemont (Ohio)--History; Churches--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
8 matches on "Mariemont (Ohio)"
1. Choose a delivery format
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use