Description: Posed photograph showing two men in the office of what appears to be a pharmacy. They look together at a page from a prescription pad, and on the shelves behind them are numerous compounds, tinctures, and medicine bottles. A majority of the bottles come from the Columbus Pharmacal Company, while others are produced by Parke E. Davis and Co. This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed "Ewing Brothers" and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934. The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV71_B10A_F591 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Portrait photography--United States--History; Medicine--History; Employees; Places: Ohio; West Virginia
'Cincinnati College of Medicine Museum and Practical Chemical Laboratory' illustrationSave
Description: This illustration of the Cincinnati College of Medicine's Museum and Practical Chemical Laboratory appears in the Centennial Issue of the "Cincinnati Journal of Medicine, Centennial Issue," published in 1957. In 1896, the Medical College of Ohio merged with the University of Cincinnati. The Miami Medical College also joined the University of Cincinnati in 1909, creating the Ohio-Miami Medical College of the University of Cincinnati. In 1920, the college changed its name to the College of Medicine of the University of Cincinnati. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04222 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio); Medicine--History; Ohio Economy--Science and Technology Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Oil painting showing Dr. William Gleason (sometimes spelled Glysson) at a patient's bedside. Gleason is taking the pulse of the patient, who is shown only as a hand extended through the bedcurtains of a tall-post bed. The doctor sits in a straight-leg, Chippendale-style chair and holds an ivory-handled walking stick in his right hand. An unusual detail is the inclusion of a spur on Gleason's boot, implying that he is on a "house call." Artist Winthrop Chandler created the painting in Woodstock, Connecticut, around 1785, one of a pair of paintings made at that time. The other is a portrait of Mary Kidder Gleason and her daughter Bethia Pitt Putnam Tupper. Winthrop Chandler is thought to be the brother of Mrs. Mary Kidder Gleason, wife of Dr. William Gleason (1750-1793). Chandler's wife was also named Mary Gleason, and was presumably the sister of Dr. William Gleason. Mary Kidder Gleason moved to Ohio in 1800, at which time the portraits were reportedly brought to the Putnam House in Belpre, Ohio, where they hung for many years. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: H27065 Subjects: Chandler, Winthrop, 1747-1790; Artists; Medicine--History; Paintings Places: Connecticut; Belpre (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: Dr. William Awl was born on May 24, 1799, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He studied medicine at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, and throughout his career sought to improve medical care for the imprisoned, the blind, and the mentally ill. Awl helped organize the Ohio Medical Association. This organization lobbied the Ohio legislature to establish a state hospital for the mentally ill and a school for the blind. He was the first physician at the Lunatic Asylum in Columbus and served as its director until 1850. He died on November 19, 1876. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04097 Subjects: Medicine--History; Other--Health Care; Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use