Bacon Building at the Academy of Medicine illustrationSave
Description: This illustration depicts the Bacon Building at the Academy of Medicine, which was founded on the northwest corner of Walnut and Sixth Streets in Cincinnati. The illustration appears in "The Cincinnati Journal of Medicine, Centennial Issue," published in 1957.
Cincinnati physicians established the Academy of Medicine in 1857. It served primarily as a social and educational club for local physicians. Members met together to share knowledge, to establish standards for medical education, and to debate medical treatments for various illnesses affecting the community. The Academy of Medicine has continually operated since the 1850s. In 2003, the organization provided local residents with a physician's referral service, public lecturers, and health information telephone line. The Academy of Science, which originally only allowed men to join, eventually formed a women's auxiliary. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04205 Subjects: Education--Ohio; Medicine; Other--Health Care; Physicians--19th century--Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
'Cincinnati College of Medicine Museum and Practical Chemical Laboratory' illustrationSave
Description: This illustration of the Cincinnati College of Medicine's Museum and Practical Chemical Laboratory appears in the Centennial Issue of the "Cincinnati Journal of Medicine, Centennial Issue," published in 1957. In 1896, the Medical College of Ohio merged with the University of Cincinnati. The Miami Medical College also joined the University of Cincinnati in 1909, creating the Ohio-Miami Medical College of the University of Cincinnati. In 1920, the college changed its name to the College of Medicine of the University of Cincinnati. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04222 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio); Medicine--History; Ohio Economy--Science and Technology Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Illustration showing the Medical College of Ohio, 1835. Daniel Drake founded the Medical College of Ohio in 1819 in Cincinnati. Prior to the Medical College's establishment, most doctors learned their vocation through an apprenticeship system. Drake hoped to bring some of the finest doctors in the United States to Cincinnati to provide students with multiple perspectives on the practice of medicine. He also hoped that a diverse faculty would encourage discussion of medical practices and improve patient care. In 1896, the Medical College of Ohio merged with the University of Cincinnati, and later changed its name to the College of Medicine of the University of Cincinnati. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04141 Subjects: Other--Health Care; Medicine--History; Education--Ohio; Physicians--19th century--Ohio; Cincinnati (Ohio)--History Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio);
Description: Posed photograph showing two men in the office of what appears to be a pharmacy. They look together at a page from a prescription pad, and on the shelves behind them are numerous compounds, tinctures, and medicine bottles. A majority of the bottles come from the Columbus Pharmacal Company, while others are produced by Parke E. Davis and Co. This photograph was taken by traveling photographer Albert J. Ewing, ca. 1896-1912. Like most of Ewing's work, it was likely taken in southeastern Ohio or central West Virginia. Born in 1870 in Washington County, Ohio, near Marietta, Ewing most likely began his photography career in the 1890s. The 1910 US Census and a 1912-1913 directory list him as a photographer. A negative signed "Ewing Brothers" and a picture with his younger brother, Frank, indicate that Frank may have joined the business. After 1916, directories list Albert as a salesman. He died in 1934. The Ewing Collection consists of 5,055 glass plate negatives, each individually housed and numbered. Additionally, the collection includes approximately 450 modern contact prints made from the glass plate negatives. Subjects include infants and young children, elderly people, families, school and religious groups, animals and rural scenes. In 1982, the Ohio Historical Society received the collection, still housed in the original dry plate negative boxes purchased by Albert J. Ewing. A selection of the original glass plate negatives were exhibited for the first time in 2013 at the Ohio Historical Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV71_B10A_F591 Subjects: Ewing, Albert J. (1870-1934); Portrait photography--United States--History; Medicine--History; Employees; Places: Ohio; West Virginia
Description: Dr. William Awl was born on May 24, 1799, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He studied medicine at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, and throughout his career sought to improve medical care for the imprisoned, the blind, and the mentally ill. Awl helped organize the Ohio Medical Association. This organization lobbied the Ohio legislature to establish a state hospital for the mentally ill and a school for the blind. He was the first physician at the Lunatic Asylum in Columbus and served as its director until 1850. He died on November 19, 1876. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04097 Subjects: Medicine--History; Other--Health Care; Mental illness--Treatment--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Portrait of Henry Archibald Tobey. Dr. Tobey was born in 1852 in Union County, Ohio. He was educated at Ohio Wesleyan University and the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati where he studied medicine. After he graduated in 1875, he partnered with Dr. Henry Conklin and worked as a general practitioner in Columbus, Ohio, until 1877, when became the assistant physician at the Columbus Asylum for the Insane with Dr. Richard Gundry. He remained there until 1880 when he was elected Superintendent of the Dayton Asylum for Insane. After four years he decided to return to being a general practitioner, but he didn’t remain there long, as he was soon made Superintendent of the new Toledo Hospital where he stay until 1891. He was reelected in 1892 and stayed Superintendent until he retired in 1906. He died two years later in August, 1908.
Dr. Tobey married Minnie Conklin in 1881 and they had three children: Helen, Alice, and Louise. In addition to his regular work he invented a steam trap, a gas meter, and a hot water heater, which were often used in hospitals.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07659 Subjects: Hospitals--Ohio; Medicine; Inventors
Description: Portrait of Dr. John G. F. Holston. Holston was born in 1809 in Hamburg, Germany. After travelling the world as a cabin boy, he landed in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, where he attended Washington College and graduated with honors. He attended Cleveland College where he studied medicine. He was later called to be chair of surgery in the National Medical College at Washington. He served in the Civil War for the Union, and was eventually promoted to serve as medical director in General Ulysses S. Grant’s staff. After the war, he opened a medical practice in Zanesville, Ohio, but soon moved back to Washington D.C., where he was appointed a professor of anatomy at Georgetown Medical School and served as physician to President Grant’s family.
Holston married Mary Ann Campbell, with whom he had eight children. He died on May 1, 1874 at the age of sixty-five.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07669 Subjects: Medicine--History; Zanesville (Ohio); Veterans; Immigrants--Ohio
Description: Established in 1849, Starling Medical College/St. Francis Hospital was significant as it was the first institution in the United States, governed by a single board of trustees, designed to combine patient care and clinical teaching in the same building. The Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis served the hospital during its existence. Starling Medical College was the forerunner of The Ohio State University College of Medicine, and St. Francis Hospital continued as a teaching hospital until it closed in 1955 and was later razed in 1957. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07683 Subjects: Medicine; Universities and colleges; Hospitals; Religious facilities Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: caption reads: "Nurses home at Middletown Hospital" Middletown Hospital, now Atrium Medical Center, is located in Butler County, Ohio. The hospital was established to assist the Middletown community in times of medical need. The hospital was officially opened on March 5, 1917 with 28 beds. By 1923, the need for a larger hospital was recognized and the hospital expanded to 100 beds. Middletown Hospital established one of the country's first coronary care units in a community hospital, became second in the entire Cincinnati/Dayton area to begin a cardiac rehabilitation program, the first to perform FDA-approved total hip replacement and the first to use the Yag laser. Middletown has received numerous awards including top honors from the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and the first Ohio hospital to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F09_049_1 Subjects: Hospitals--History--Ohio; Nurses; Science and Technology; Medicine Places: Middletown (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use