Description: This photograph is a draft of a map for New Philadelphia (1938), which was created for potential use in The Ohio Guide, and is covered with pencil marks, arrows and notes.
A the top right corner is a North arrow, beneath which says "Ohio Guide, Federal Writers' Project 1938". The map is approximately centered on the Tuscarawas County Courthouse on the Corner of High Avenue and Broadway Street. It depicts the Tuscarawas River and Tuscora Park, as well as the C & P Railroad tracks, the abandoned Ohio Canal, and the East Avenue and Fair Street Cemeteries.
From 1935 to 1942, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), through its Federal Writers' Project created The American Guide Series, which included forty-eight state guides, as well as supplemental guides for large cities, etc.
The state guides are divided into three sections. In the first section are general essays about the state on things such as agriculture, culture, history, industry, religion, etc. The second section contains an overview of the various cities and towns around the state, as well as enumerating various points of interest. The last section is dedicated to various tours around the state. The tourist is taken from city to city, with turn by turn directions, and descriptions of what can be seen along the way. While much of the country has grown and changed since the guides were written, it is surprising how much remains, and sometimes more surprising what has been lost. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F14_005 Subjects: New Philadelphia (Ohio)--Maps; United States. Works Progress Administration of Ohio; Federal Writers' Project. Ohio Federal Writers' Project Places: New Philadelphia (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: The caption reads: "Casting - at Tuscora park - New Phila O."
Tuscora Park in New Philadelphia was built as a project of the Works Project Administration in the 1940s. It's stonework gates, paths and retaining walls still remain.
In the 1940's an all wooden carousel was purchased secondhand. It contains 36 carved wooden jumping horses, two chariots and 428 individual lights. The center panels contain 14 original oil paintings. The carousel was built in 1928 by the Spillman Manufacturing Company. It is a rare all wooden carousel. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F01_024_001 Subjects: New Philadelphia (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio); Parks; Carousels Places: New Philadelphia (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows log cabins at Schoenbrunn State Park in New Philadelphia, Ohio.
In 1772, David Zeisberger, a missionary of the Moravian Church, established the village of Schoenbrunn on the Tuscarawas River, near present-day New Philadelphia. The word Schoenbrunn means "beautiful spring" in German. The purpose of this community was to provide Moravian missionaries a place to teach Christianity to American Indians residing in Ohio. At its greatest size, Schoenbrunn had a population of four hundred Christian natives, mostly Delaware, and more than sixty buildings, including the first school and Christian church built in Ohio. During the American Revolution, facing harassment from both the English and the Americans, Zeisberger and his followers abandoned Schoenbrunn in early 1778. They held a final service in the church, after which they tore down their house of worship to prevent its desecration. Schoenbrunn has since been rebuilt and is administered as an historic site by the Ohio History Connection.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F02_005_001 Subjects: Log cabins--Ohio; Schoenbrunn (Ohio); Zeisberger, David, 1721-1808; Religion in Ohio; New Philadelphia (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works Places: New Philadelphia (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use