Description: Broadside advertising a reading given by poet and author Paul Laurence Dunbar at the Lyceum Theater in New York City, ca. 1890-1906. He was born in Dayton, Ohio, in 1872 to Joshua and Matilda Dunbar, both former slaves, and was encouraged by his mother in poetry and his schooling from an early age. He attended Dayton Central High School and was the sole African American student at that time. Following his high school graduation, Dunbar worked as an elevator operator while writing poetry in his free time. He built a reputation as a successful literary voice and writer of dialect poetry, and was the first African American poet to receive critical acclaim for his work. Dunbar authored twelve collections of poetry, five novels, one play, and a large number of newspaper articles before his death from tuberculosis on February 9, 1906. He is buried in the Woodland Cemetery in Dayton. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05264 Subjects: Dunbar, Paul Laurence, 1872-1906; African American poets; American poetry--Ohio; Literary Ohio Places: New York City (New York)
Description: A painting of the Woolworth Building as viewed during the day.
Located at 233 Broadway, Manhattan, New York City, the Woolworth Building is an early US skyscraper. It was designed by architect Cass Gilbert and completed in 1913. At 241.4 meters (792 ft), it is one of the fifty tallest buildings in the United States and one of the twenty tallest buildings in New York City. Between 1913 and 1930 it was the tallest building in the world. It has been a National Historic Landmark since 1966 and a New York City landmark since 1983. Initially the building was owned by the F. W. Woolworth Company. Due to its resemblance to European Gothic cathedrals, it was nicknamed "The Cathedral of Commerce." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07760 Subjects: Skyscrapers; Architecture; National Register of Historic Places; Gothic revival (Architecture); Office buildings Places: New York City (New York)
Description: A painting of the Woolworth Building as viewed during the day.
Located at 233 Broadway, Manhattan, New York City, the Woolworth Building is an early US skyscraper. It was designed by architect Cass Gilbert and completed in 1913. At 241.4 meters (792 ft), it is one of the fifty tallest buildings in the United States and one of the twenty tallest buildings in New York City. Between 1913 and 1930 it was the tallest building in the world. It has been a National Historic Landmark since 1966 and a New York City landmark since 1983. Initially the building was owned by the F. W. Woolworth Company. Due to its resemblance to European Gothic cathedrals, it was nicknamed "The Cathedral of Commerce." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07761 Subjects: Skyscrapers; Architecture; National Register of Historic Places; Gothic revival (Architecture); Office buildings Places: New York City (New York)
General Ulysses S. Grant's temporary tomb illustrationSave
Description: The illustration is an artist's rendering of the temporary tomb of General Ulysses S. Grant, Riverside Park, New York, New York. The image shows a group of people standing on a path leading to the small barrel-shaped vault. The tomb is situated in a tree-lined area near the east bank of the Hudson River. An inset in the upper left corner shows a man in military uniform playing a bugle. The inset's inscription reads: "The soldier's burial--typical military ceremony of 'Taps,' or bugle signal for extinguishing lights." An inset in the upper right corner illustrates the tomb's interior, which contains Grant's coffin; a sign bearing the name "Galena" (Illinois town where Grant and his family once lived); a white dove above a military insignia; and several other objects. The tomb's barred gate bears the initial "G."
In accordance with Grant’s wishes, his family selected Riverside Park as the site of his final resting place. He died July 23, 1885, in Mount McGregor, New York, and his remains were interred in this temporary vault. Shortly after his death a newly organized grassroots organization, the Grant Monument Association, began accepting donations to fund the construction of a permanent memorial. Ninety thousand individuals collectively donated an estimated $600,000 to the fund its construction (the largest public fundraising effort at the time). The cornerstone was laid in 1891, and the memorial was completed six years later. More than one million people attended the parade and dedication ceremony of General Grant National Memorial (popularly known as Grant’s Tomb) on April 27, 1897. Julia Grant died on December 14, 1902, in Washington, D.C., and her remains were interred beside her husband's in a twin sarcophagus. Architect John Duncan designed the granite and marble structure, still the largest mausoleum in North America. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05796 Subjects: Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885; General Grant National Memorial (New York, N.Y.); Monuments & memorials; Ohio History--Presidents and Politics Places: New York City (New York)
Description: Illustration of Muscari moschatum (grape hyacinth), accompanied by text about the varieties of this flower. Image and text are from "New Book of Flowers" by Joseph Breck (New York: Orange Judd & Company, 1866), pp. 292-293. The full-page illustration, in black and white, shows a plant with grape-like clusters of blossoms and long, tapered leaves. Breck (1794-1873) was a horticulturalist and botanist from Massachusetts. He founded Joseph Breck & Sons, a seed and agricultural implements wholesaler and retailer in Boston, Massachusetts. He wrote several other books, including "The Young Florist" (1833) and "The Flower Garden" (1851). Orange Judd (1822-1892) was an agricultural researcher and the editor of "American Agriculturalist" magazine. His Chicago firm, Orange Judd Company, published agricultural and scientific books. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05782 Subjects: Floriculture--Handbooks, manuals, etc.; Floriculture--United States; Breck, Joseph, 1794-1873; Orange Judd Company (Chicago, Ill.) Places: New York City (New York)
Description: This portrait of Madame Margaret Agnew Blennerhassett (ca. 1778-1842) is a photographic reproduction of the original, a painted miniature. According to Ray Swick and Christina Little, authors of “Blennerhassett Island,” the original miniature was painted in Montreal, Canada, between 1819 and 1824. It is believed that her husband commissioned the miniature as a replacement for a portrait of his wife that was stolen from his saddlebag in 1807. The oval portrait portrays a woman with a slender face and neck, wavy hair piled high, and penetrating eyes that look directly at the observer.
Margaret Agnew was the daughter of Robert Agnew, lieutenant governor of the Isle of Man. She was an intelligent, well-educated young woman with linguistic and literary talent. Sometime between the ages of 17 and 20, she flouted legal, religious, and social convention by marrying her maternal uncle, Harman Blassenhassett (1765-1831), a wealthy Irish aristocrat.
The couple left England for the United States during the late 1790s and eventually moved to Marietta, Ohio. In 1797 they purchased 174 acres of land on an island in the Ohio River. The land formerly belonged to George Washington.
During their first years on the island, the Blennerhassetts lived in a blockhouse until a permanent home was ready. In 1800 they moved into their new residence, a mansion where the couple lived the life of the wealthy. The Blennerhasetts were famous for their hospitality, and many travelers down the Ohio River stopped at the couple’s home. Their most famous guest was Burr, whom they met in 1805 when he visited the island.
In 1805 and 1806, the Blennerhassetts assisted Burr in his scheme to break away the western part of the United States and form a new country that he would lead. The federal government heard rumors of the uprising and sent a detachment of Virginia militia to seize the Blennerhassetts' island. Harman Blennerhassett was in hiding; his wife was away in Marietta. When she returned, she discovered that the militiamen had ransacked the home, and she fled with her children. Her husband was arrested a few weeks later, but he quickly gained his release.
The Blennerhassetts briefly returned to their mansion, but now destitute, they sought their fortunes in Mississippi, where Harman raised cotton to support the family. An embargo during the War of 1812 brought more financial hardship. In 1819 the family moved to Canada, where Harman tried unsuccessfully to establish a law firm. Margaret and their surviving children remained in Canada when Harman moved to Ireland in 1821 to pursue an old legal claim. He settled on the Isle of Guernsey While still in Canada, Margaret published two books: "The Deserted Isle" (1822) and "The Widow of the Rock and Other Poems" (1824).
Margaret and the children left the United States in 1825 to live with Harman on the Isle of Guernsey. After his death in 1831, she remained there until 1842, when she and her son Harman Jr. sailed to New York City. Margaret petitioned Congress for restitution for the destruction of the Blennerhassett Island property. A Senate committee voted in favor of her appeal, but its decision came too late for Margaret. She died in June 1842 in a New York City poor house and was buried in New York by the Sisters of Charity.
In late the 1990s the remains of Margaret and her son Harman Jr. were moved to Blennerhassett Island and buried near the mansion, which had been reconstructed on its original foundation during the 1980s and early 1990s. The island is now a West Virginia historical state park.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05838 Subjects: Blennerhassett, Margaret, ca. 1778-1842; Blennerhassett, Harman, 1765-1831; Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836; Burr Conspiracy, 1805-1807; Blennerhassett Island (W. Va.); Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood;
Description: This color illustration is a full-length profile of a woman with light-brown hair opening a door into a room. She is wearing a white blouse, black scarf tied in a bow at the neck, and a floor-length brown skirt. The artist, Howard Chandler Christy (1873-1952), was famous for his portraits of the so-called "Christy Girl," his romanticized vision of the modern young society woman.
Born in Morgan County, Ohio, Christy spent his youth on his parents' farm near Duncan Falls. Christy’s mother encouraged his work as a painter and sketch artist. During the 1890s Christy moved to New York City and studied under William Merritt Chase, who encouraged his students to paint their subjects in a realistic manner. After achieving success as an illustrator, Christy open his own studio and began painting portraits and landscape scenes.
Christy became a well-known artist because of his involvement in the Spanish-American War. During this conflict, he accompanied American soldiers into battle. He provided magazines, such as "Scribner's," "Harper's," "The Century", and "Leslie's Weekly," with drawings of the battlefields. After the war, Christy became famous for his artwork depicting the "Christy Girl," whose image he used in books, magazines, calendars, and even patriotic posters.
Over the next decade, Christy emerged as one of America's most popular artists and illustrators. He returned to his childhood home in Ohio and opened his own studio. His fame continued to grow during the 1910s. He returned to New York and opened a studio in 1915. During World War I he drew posters encouraging his fellow Americans to support the war effort. Once again, the "Christy Girl" figured prominently in his artwork.
Following the war, Christy slowly turned away from painting the "Christy Girl." During the 1920s the artist painted the portraits of a number of well-known Americans, including Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Herbert Hoover, and Eddie Rickenbacker. At the beginning of the Great Depression, Christy's popularity briefly declined, but the artist returned to painting women and landscape scenes. His celebrity status revived, he created commemorative paintings of historical events. His most famous painting from this era shows the signing of the United States Constitution. It hangs in the Rotunda of the United States Capitol Building. Two of Christy's works from this period also hang in the Ohio Statehouse.
Christy died in 1952 in New York City. Christy died in New York on March 3, 1952 and was buried in the Ferncliff Cemetery and Mausoleum.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06981 Subjects: Christy, Howard Chandler, 1873-1952; Illustration; Morgan County (Ohio); Artists--Ohio
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use