Description: Original description reads: "Works Progress Administration in Ohio. Federal Writers Project. 902 Municipal Building Akron. Sept 11, 1937. Lorain County. POI & Educational Institutions. First Congregational Church-Oberlin, Ohio (1842- ). See 'Oberlin College Alumni Catalogue 1833 - 1936' Page 20. for full description of this church. Dist. 6 files."
"Erected 1842 A.D." can be seen, in stone, above the main entrance to the square brick building.
The construction of the First Congregational Church was begun in 1842, and the building was enclosed that year. The Oberlin College commencement exercises were held in the building in August, 1843, although it was still unfinished. It was completed in August, 1844, and at that time it was the largest building west of the Allegheny mountains. Its total cost was $12,000. It was built of brick and was characterized by rare simplicity and proportion. the audience room furnished seating capacity for 1400 people, and upon many occasions more than 2000 people have been crowded into it. It was used for church services, the Commencement and other public exercises of the Institute and College, and for town meetings. It was the church home for all Oberlin people from 1843 to 1860. In 1860 a membership of 1545 seemed to make necessary a division, resulting in the organization of a second church, called the Second Congreational Church. In 1908, and again in 1927, extensive repairs, alterations and replacements were made. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F16_001_1 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Oberlin College Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows the campus of Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio. The institution was founded by Presbyterian minister John L. Shipherd in 1832.
Shipherd planned for the institution to admit both men and women. The first women formally admitted to the college program enrolled in 1837. The four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841. They were the first women in the United States to receive this degree. Oberlin College was also one of the first institutions of higher education to admit African Americans. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06515 Subjects: Women--Education - Ohio; Oberlin College; African Americans--History Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Printed in 1914 in Columbus, Ohio, by Allied Printing Trades Council, this poster urges Ohioans to vote a dry ballot. The text reads "This Home Will Help Make Ohio 'Dry,' Will YOU?" and shows a young boy carrying the American flag. In the lower left corner is a sample ballot with proposed constitutional amendments listed and the appropriate vote marked. Ohio played an important role in the Temperance and Prohibition movements in America from their beginnings in the late 19th century with the formation of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1874 and the Ohio Anti-Saloon League in Oberlin, Ohio, in 1893. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS4727 Subjects: Prohibition; Propaganda; Presidential elections; Political posters Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows an aerial view of Oberlin College's campus in Oberlin, Ohio.
Oberlin College was founded in 1832 by Presbyterian minister John L. Shipherd. It quickly grew, primarily due to the support of Charles Grandison Finney, one of the leading religious revivalists of the day. Shipherd intended for the college to educate both men and women. The first women formally admitted to the college program enrolled in 1837. The four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841. They were the first women in the United States to receive this degree. Oberlin College was also one of the first institutions of higher education to admit African Americans. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06514 Subjects: Education; Oberlin College; African Americans--History; Women--Education - Ohio Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Mary A. Ball Bickerdyke, known as "Mother" Bickerdyke, was a nurse and healthcare provider for the Union Army during the Civil War. She was born on July 19, 1817, near Mount Vernon, Ohio. After attending Oberlin College, she studied nursing in Cincinnati. During the Civil War, Bickerdyke traveled with the armies of Generals Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman, treating wounded soldiers, setting up field hospitals, and working as an agent for the United States Sanitary Commission. After the war was over, she assisted Union veterans with legal issues and helped them secure their pensions. Bickerdyke died on November 8, 1901, in Bunker Hill, Kansas. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07064 Subjects: United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; Nurses--Ohio; Nurses and nursing--Ohio; Women--Ohio--History Places: Mount Vernon (Ohio); Knox County (Ohio);
Description: Reverse reads: "Code - D10; Class - Colleges & Art Galleries; Ident - Art Museum, Oberlin; Location - Oberlin."
Words engraved on the front of the building are "The Fine Arts A Heritage From The Past", " To the Arts A Gift to the Future "The Cause of Art is the Cause of the People."
Italian Renaissance-style building designed by Cass Gilbert and named after its founder, Dr. Dudley Peter Allen (B.A. 1875), a distinguished graduate and trustee of Oberlin College. The complex of buildings designed in 1917 represents an eclectic dialogue between Tuscan Renaissance and Midwestern vernacular architectural styles. First college art museum west of the Alleghenies The building features a colonnade across the front and is topped with terracotta roof tiles. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F02_035_1 Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Education; Universities and colleges; Oberlin College Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Photograph showing Temperance protestors outside an unidentified Ohio saloon. During the late 1800s, support for Prohibition ("the outlawing of alcohol's manufacture, transportation, and consumption") gained tremendous support. On May 24, 1893, temperance advocates in Ohio formed the Ohio Anti-Saloon League in Oberlin, Ohio. This organization's members believed that American society was in moral decline. As people moved from rural areas to urbanized ones, many Americans believed that they were losing touch with their religious values. One way that people were violating God's desires was by consuming alcohol. The Ohio Anti-Saloon League hoped to prohibit alcohol by enforcing existing laws and by implementing new ones. This same year, temperance supporters in Washington, DC, formed their own Anti-Saloon League. In 1895, the Ohio and Washington organizations united to create the National Anti-Saloon League, which eventually became the Anti-Saloon League of America. The Anti-Saloon League adopted Prohibition as its primary goal, but also sought to eliminate bars, taverns, and saloons, believing that these businesses promoted the consumption of alcohol. For the first fifteen years of its existence, the Anti-Saloon League and its subsidiaries focused on implementing anti-alcohol laws in local communities. As support grew, including among such prominent Americans as John D. Rockefeller, the League began a national campaign to implement Prohibition. In 1913, the League sponsored a parade in Washington, DC. At the gathering's conclusion, the League's superintendent, Purley Baker, presented an amendment to the United States Congress and to the House of Representatives. This amendment would be the basis for the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution which made Prohibition the law of the land. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P156_B02F09_001_01 Subjects: Temperance--History; Alcohol; Women--Societies and clubs--Ohio; Places: Ohio
Description: Mahaliah Jay pieced by machine this quilt of log cabin blocks in a labyrinth or Greek Key variation. Family records indicate that Jay spun the fibers and wove the medium-weight wool fabrics used in the quilt. Strips of blue homespun wool separate the key blocks. The back is brown plaid cotton. Jay quilted it with widely spaced diamonds and tied it between the quilting lines with cotton thread through bits of cotton fabric. Mahaliah Jay was a life long student and teacher. She and her husband, Eli Jay, attended Oberlin College and later were part of the first graduating class at Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio. They taught at Earlham College and the American Indians at Fort Sill. After they retired from teaching she resumed studies at the University of Michigan. Jay was a Quaker and worked to establish mission organizations for that denomination. The quilt measures 204cm x 220cm (80 x 86 inches). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3468_6643225_001 Subjects: Ohio Women; Daily Life; Quilts; Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio); Yellow Springs (Ohio); Greene County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use