Description: This image shows an aerial view of Oberlin College's campus in Oberlin, Ohio.
Oberlin College was founded in 1832 by Presbyterian minister John L. Shipherd. It quickly grew, primarily due to the support of Charles Grandison Finney, one of the leading religious revivalists of the day. Shipherd intended for the college to educate both men and women. The first women formally admitted to the college program enrolled in 1837. The four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841. They were the first women in the United States to receive this degree. Oberlin College was also one of the first institutions of higher education to admit African Americans. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06514 Subjects: Education; Oberlin College; African Americans--History; Women--Education - Ohio Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows the campus of Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio. The institution was founded by Presbyterian minister John L. Shipherd in 1832.
Shipherd planned for the institution to admit both men and women. The first women formally admitted to the college program enrolled in 1837. The four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841. They were the first women in the United States to receive this degree. Oberlin College was also one of the first institutions of higher education to admit African Americans. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06515 Subjects: Women--Education - Ohio; Oberlin College; African Americans--History Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Code - D10; Class - Colleges & Art Galleries; Ident - Art Museum, Oberlin; Location - Oberlin."
Words engraved on the front of the building are "The Fine Arts A Heritage From The Past", " To the Arts A Gift to the Future "The Cause of Art is the Cause of the People."
Italian Renaissance-style building designed by Cass Gilbert and named after its founder, Dr. Dudley Peter Allen (B.A. 1875), a distinguished graduate and trustee of Oberlin College. The complex of buildings designed in 1917 represents an eclectic dialogue between Tuscan Renaissance and Midwestern vernacular architectural styles. First college art museum west of the Alleghenies The building features a colonnade across the front and is topped with terracotta roof tiles. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F02_035_1 Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Education; Universities and colleges; Oberlin College Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "Works Progress Administration in Ohio. Federal Writers Project. 902 Municipal Building Akron. Sept 11, 1937. Lorain County. POI & Educational Institutions. First Congregational Church-Oberlin, Ohio (1842- ). See 'Oberlin College Alumni Catalogue 1833 - 1936' Page 20. for full description of this church. Dist. 6 files."
"Erected 1842 A.D." can be seen, in stone, above the main entrance to the square brick building.
The construction of the First Congregational Church was begun in 1842, and the building was enclosed that year. The Oberlin College commencement exercises were held in the building in August, 1843, although it was still unfinished. It was completed in August, 1844, and at that time it was the largest building west of the Allegheny mountains. Its total cost was $12,000. It was built of brick and was characterized by rare simplicity and proportion. the audience room furnished seating capacity for 1400 people, and upon many occasions more than 2000 people have been crowded into it. It was used for church services, the Commencement and other public exercises of the Institute and College, and for town meetings. It was the church home for all Oberlin people from 1843 to 1860. In 1860 a membership of 1545 seemed to make necessary a division, resulting in the organization of a second church, called the Second Congreational Church. In 1908, and again in 1927, extensive repairs, alterations and replacements were made. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F16_001_1 Subjects: Church buildings--Ohio; Oberlin College Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)
Description: Theodore Burton (1851-1929) was born in Jefferson, Ohio, on December 20, 1851, and graduated from Oberlin College in 1872. He began his political career in 1889 after being elected as a Representative and years later as a Senator from Ohio. Throughout his life he had interrupted spells in the US House of Representative and Senate. In 1916, he was a candidate for Republican nomination for president. In 1922, President Warren G. Harding appointed Burton to represent the United States at the World War Debt Funding Commission, and Burton served as the head of the American delegation at the Geneva Conference in 1925. He died in Washington, DC, on October 28, 1929. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04089 Subjects: Presidents--Election; Other--Federal Government; Cleveland (Ohio); Oberlin College; Politicians Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: Portrait of Charles M. Hall (1863-1914), ca. 1890. A graduate of Oberlin College, Hall discovered the electrolytic method of producing aluminum cheaply for commercial use in 1886. He began working for the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, later known as the Aluminum Company of America, and became vice president in 1890. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03886 Subjects: Oberlin College; Ohio Economy--Science and Technology; Inventors--Ohio
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use