Standard Oil Company service station photographSave
Description: Grand Opening of a Standard Oil Company's Sohio service station. Standard Oil of Ohio was the original Standard Oil company founded in 1911 by John D. Rockefeller as a result of Standard Oil Company and Trust breakup. Standard Oil Company and Trust was an American company and corporate trust that from 1870 to 1911 was controlling almost all oil production, processing, marketing, and transportation in the United States. Standard Oil Company stations in Ohio operated under the brand name "Sohio." The company was acquired by British Petroleum, now BP, in 1968. Following the terms of the acquisition, BP took majority ownership of the company in 1978. In 1987 BP bought out 45% of Sohio, assuming control, and in 1991 started rebranding all the Sohio stations to 'BP.' Although Sohio gas stations have ceased to exist, a few gas stations on Lake Erie and the Ohio River still bear the Sohio name. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07668 Subjects: Standard Oil Company; Oil industry; Business enterprises--Ohio--Cleveland; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Transportation--Ohio--History Places: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)
Description: 100th Anniversary logo of the East Ohio Gas Company with the slogan, A Century of Service. The East Ohio Gas Company was incorporated on September 8, 1898 and celebrated their centennial in 1998. In 2000 the company was purchased by Dominion Resources and is now known as Dominion East Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00687 Subjects: Gas industry--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business
East Ohio Gas Company Employees Installing Transmission Pipeline #12Save
Description: Employees of the East Ohio Gas Company, now Dominion East Ohio, installing Transmission Pipeline #12, 1955. This 112 mile pipeline carried natural gas from Maumee, Ohio to the Cleveland area. This photograph appeared in the September/October 1955 edition of the East Ohio News, a magazine for employees. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00690 Subjects: Gas industry--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business
Description: This photograph gives a birds-eye view of the east bank of the Scioto River in downtown Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1960.
Visible in the left side of the photograph are the Broad Street and Town Street bridges over the Scioto River. The tallest building is the LaVeque Tower, formerly the American Insurance Union Citadel. It was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper, located at 50 West Broad Street, was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, the American Insurance Union went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945. It remained the highest tower in Columbus until 1973.
The light-colored building to the south of Leveque Tower was originally The Ohio State Office Building. Constructed during 1930-1933, the 14-story building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Art Moderne style. The building was later known as the Ohio Judicial Center until 2011, when the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010.
The Ohio Statehouse is visible in the center of the photograph (toward the right edge). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05692 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Architecture--Ohio; Aerial views; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows a view of South High Street Columbus, Ohio, looking north. A streetcar and autos share the road; parked cars line both sides of the street. The sidewalks are crowded with pedestrians. The top of the LeVeque Tower is seen in the far background. Columbus's famed Neil House hotel is situated in the middle of the block.
The hotel was erected in the 1820s as a tavern. Proprietor William built a hotel on the site in 1839; this structure burned down on Nov. 6, 1860 and was replaced in 1862 by new building. In turn, that hotel was replaced in 1924 by the structure seen in the photo. This 600-room hotel was torn down in the 1980s to make room for the expanded Huntington Bank Building. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05698 Subjects: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Architecture--Ohio; Automobiles; Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use