Description: This photograph shows a street on the Ohio University campus looking north, showing the city as it existed between 1909-1914. Athens is the county seat of Athens County, Ohio. Members of the Ohio Company of Associates sent the first settlers into the area in 1797, establishing the town of Athens in 1798. According to the federal government's requirements, the Ohio Company of Associates had to establish an institution of higher education within its land grant. The company leaders chose Athens as the site for the school that eventually became known as Ohio University.
Ohio University was established in 1804, with the first classes offered in 1809. Although initially more equivalent to a high school level course of instruction due to lack of a skilled faculty, by 1822 Ohio University offered a traditional college program. Athens became the county seat in 1805, and by 1880, Athens was a thriving town with six churches, three newspapers, and two banking institutions.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F14_001_001 Subjects: Architecture; Buildings; Daily Life; Central business districts; Education; Universities and colleges; Ohio University; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows the McGuffey Elms at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. The elms were planted by William Holmes McGuffey, the 4th President of Ohio University. They were planted during his tenure as President, between 1839 and 1842. Seven of the trees were removed in 1954, a victim of the Dutch elm disease. The parts that could be salvaged were made into plaques, gavels and other mementos. Some of the logs were made into benches which sat in the portico of the University Center. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06486 Subjects: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio); Ohio University Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
Description: The inscription above the gate reads: "So enter that daily thou mayest grow in knowledge wisdom and love."
This gate is at the intersection of Court and Union Streets in Athens, Ohio. It is the Alumni Gift of the Class of 1915, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the first graduation class from Ohio University. This was also the first graduation of the old Northwest Territory. This quotation greeting those entering the campus was taken from a Latin inscription over the main portal of the University of Padua, Italy. The quotation for those departing the campus is "So depart that thou mayest better serve thy fellowmen thy country and thy God." It was also taken form the same source.
This gate is where Ohio University and the City of Athens meet. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B10F09_009_001 Subjects: Ohio University--Alumni and alumnae--Exhibitions.; Athens (Ohio) Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
Description: A late Federalist style building located on the campus of Ohio University, Cutler Hall was built between the summer of 1816, when the cornerstone was laid, and September 1819. Opening was delayed by a lightening strike in August 1818 to the east end of the building, resulting in fire damage that had to be repaired. In 1888 the building underwent significant renovations including the raising of the roof by three feet and the narrowing and lengthening the windows. The clock on the cupola was a gift of the Class of 1914. By 1945, the building was in decline, having been unused since 1936. Although demolishment was advised, University president John C. Baker had the building completely renovated and restored, returning the roof height and windows to their original size.
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966, Cutler Hall is the oldest college building west of the Alleghenies and north of the Ohio River. Over the years, the building has acted as a dormitory, classroom building, laboratory, library, and museum, and currently houses offices of the president, the provost, and other senior administrative officers at Ohio University.
Also called College Edifice or the Center Building, the structure was renamed Cutler Hall in 1914 after Manasseh Cutler, one of the founders of Ohio University. A jack-of-all trades, Cutler was a Yale graduate and preacher who was well respected in the scientific and medical community. Dr. Cutler was a director of the real estate company, the Ohio Company of Associates, negotiating the purchase of lands in the then unsettled area of southeast Ohio. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F14_008_001 Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Buildings; Education; Universities and colleges; Ohio University Places: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use