Description: Photographic reproduction of a drawing showing Ulysses S. Grant, captioned "The March from the Wilderness. Scene on the road to Spotsylvania C. H. May 9th 1864." Ulysses S. Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant in Point Pleasant, Ohio. Upon entering the United States Military Academy at West Point, he attempted to change his name from Hiram Ulysses to Ulysses Hiram but found that his name had already been mistakenly recorded at West Point as Ulysses Simpson Grant, which he never corrected.
During the U. S. Civil War, Grant was promoted to the rank of General and granted command of the Union Army by President Abraham Lincoln. After the victory of the Union over the Confederacy, Grant's popularity led to his election as the 18th President of the United States in 1868.
This drawing was incorrectly attributed to Ulysses Grant as the artist, but appears to be the work of Edwin Forbes (1839-1895). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04526 Subjects: Grant, Ulysses S., 1822-1885; Ohio History--Military Ohio, United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865; Ohio--History, Military; Presidents--United States; Artists Places: Spotsylvania (Virginia)
Description: Women's Army Corps members in uniform stand underneath the wing of a U.S. Army plane at Lockbourne Army Air Base, Columbus, Ohio. The public relations office of the Army Air Force School at Lockbourne provided the following photo caption: "Dress is right as these Air-Wacs [sic] of the Lockbourne Army Air Base stand at attention directly underneath a Douglas Dauntless. Reading from left to right, they are: Sgt. Louise Ruffini of Oceanport, N.J.; Cpl. Doris Todd of San Francisco, Calif.; Cpl. Winifred Wilson of Pittsburgh, Pa.; and Cpl. Barbara Moon of Yakima, Washington." The facility was originally opened in June 1942 as Lockbourne Army Airfield (named after the nearby village of Lockbourne, Ohio) as a World War II pilot training airfield. It was then named the Northeastern Training Center of the Army Air Corps and provided basic pilot training and military support. It is now Rickenbacker International Airport. The training center also provided B-17 flight training to the WASPS (Women Airforce Service Pilots) and training for glider pilots in the CG-4A Waco glider. The Douglas SBD Dauntless was a naval scout plane and dive bomber manufactured by Douglas Aircraft from 1940 through 1944. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05664 Subjects: United States. Army. Women's Army Corps; World War, 1939-1945--Women; Women--Military service--1940-1950; Ohio--History, Military; Rickenbacker International Airport; Douglas Dauntless (Dive bomber) Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use